Virginia looks for crucial ACC road win

Of the many Debbie Ryan-isms, one stands out the most in these tough two weeks of play.

"[Just] keep taking one game at a time," junior center Siedah Williams said. "This is just as important as any other game."

There is no easy way to say it: The conference schedule in the ACC, especially the road games, can be brutal. Tonight's game against No. 24 Boston College will mark Virginia's fourth ranked opponent in the past five games. Over that stretch, the 13-4 (2-3 ACC) Cavaliers have managed two tough road conference wins against then-No. 18 Virginia Tech and Miami but will have their hands more than full if they expect to make it three.

As the Cavaliers hope to move further up in the conference standings and into the national rankings, Ryan's words ring true to a team that will not undervalue any of its opponents.

"It is a very important game for both teams," Williams said. "Especially being on the road, this is a time that we have to learn how to play through adversity."

At the Conte Forum in Chestnut Hill, Mass., Virginia will face a Boston College team that has a size advantage as well as a hunger for its first conference win.

"They are very good at home," assistant coach Jeff House said. "They have lost four ACC games, but they have played [No. 6] Maryland, [then-ranked] Virginia Tech and [now No. 1] Duke. ... The team has more of a sense of urgency, especially with a team that is as good and as experienced as they are."

Boston College boasts a starting roster that includes two juniors and three seniors, only two of whom are under 6-foot. As a result, Virginia will be forced to focus on both offense and defense.

"We have to team rebound because we are not as deep in the post and we don't have the same size as a team like this," House said. "Their two players inside, [senior forward Brooke] Queenan and [junior forward Katherin] Ress are 6-foot-2 and 6-foot-4 [respectively]. We have to get into a gang rebounding mentality. Our guards have to pick up three or four rebounds, instead of one or two."

House understands that stopping Queenan will be difficult, but neutralizing her and her teammates' ability is key.

"We have to keep her off balance by mixing up her coverages," House said. "It is a good match-up right away with either [senior forward] Tiffany [Sardin] or Siedah [Williams]. We have been able to mix up our coverages where we have been able to double team. They are a very good shooting team, so we might try to mix in some zone, but they are hard team to zone."

Whichever defensive set they ultimately execute, Williams sees the team members' work as fulfilling.

"The majority of the goals that we have set for ourselves we have reached," Williams said. "We still, however, have to reach the rest of them, because some of them pertain to the end of the season. So we are still working."

Tonight, Virginia fans will be given the opportunity to see how far Virginia's work toward its postseason goals has progressed.