Ballot errors prompt special vote

A special election will be held for the position of second-year vice president since one candidate in a contested race was left off of the ballot, according to University Board of Elections officials.

Additionally, a candidate in an uncontested race for University Judiciary Committee Education representative, third-year Catherine Robinson, was accidentally omitted from the ballot.

The special elections will be held from Wednesday, March 1 at 6 p.m. until Friday, March 3 at 6 p.m., UBE vice chair Chris Jones said.

"Brennan Lowery was accidentally left off of the ballot for second-year vice president through no fault of his own," Jones said. "He completed all requirements."

Lowery was listed on the ballot as a candidate for Student Council Arts & Sciences representative instead of as a candidate for Second-Year Council.

Lowery's presence on the Student Council ballot will not affect that election, Jones said, since only four other people are competing for five positions.

Lowery said he discovered the mistake in the ballot when he went online to vote.

"When I went to vote, my name wasn't on there for second-year vice president," Lowery said.

He added that at first, he thought he was not allowed to vote for himself, but soon heard from friends that he was not on the ballot.

Both Lowery and fellow candidates Polina Rovner and Christina Polenta said they are concerned about the potential voter turnout in the special election.

"I would assume that the voter turnout for the special election isn't going to be as high as" for the general election, Rovner said. "It won't represent everyone's vote fully."

Lowery said while he is concerned about voter turnout, the special election might attract more voters.

Polenta said she was worried there will not be enough time to publicize for the special election.

"So far of everyone I've spoke to, nobody knew" about the special election, Polenta said.

Jones noted that the UBE will work to encourage voter turnout in the special election.

"We are going to work very hard to ensure as high a turnout as possible," Jones said. "We're going to try to set up a voting station at O-Hill on Thursday and we're going to stuff mailboxes."

Rovner also noted that she is disappointed with the news about the special election for other reasons.

"When I first found out about it, it was pretty disappointing because both Christina and myself put in so much work for the past two weeks," Rovner said. "We assumed all the pressure would be off by Wednesday."