Hillel announces expansion plans

Plans to expand the Hillel Jewish Student Union at the University were announced Sunday evening at a dinner sponsored by Hillel and the University Library in honor of University President John T. Casteen, III. The expanded and renovated building will be known as the Brody Jewish Student Center.

The new center will provide a more useful space for students, Hillel's executive director, Brian Cohen, said.

"Our [current] building doesn't offer much to the students," Cohen said. "The [renovated and expanded] building will become a great resource for students every day."

Hillel student president Daniel Crane said students have had a large role in discussing the features of the new building with the architect.

The expansion will include a new library and study space as well as a media room, theater, chapel and banquet space, Cohen said.

The expected cost of the new building will be approximately $6 million, Cohen said.

"That [cost] includes everything in terms of the building, renovation and addition and a substantial endowment to support the building," Cohen said.

Casteen announced at the dinner last night that Nancy and Dan Brody have provided a generous financial donation to begin work on the project.

Edgar M. Bronfman, honorary chairman of the project, has also contributed to the project through a pledge of $1 for every $3 contributed to the Building Campaign, up to a total of $500,000, Casteen said.

Cohen said that over $1 million has already been raised.

Dan Brody said his family has a long history with the University, as he, his grandfather, father and two sons have attended the University. Brody added that his father was one of the founders of Hillel in 1941.

"This seemed like an opportunity to combine my life and my affection for two things: the University and Jewish student life at the University," Brody said, adding that "someone had to step forward to get the wheels turning."

The funds collected for this project will be included in the calculation of the University's Capital Campaign revenue, Cohen said.

Cohen said rooms in the building will be named after donors. Additional funds will be raised through other types of programming in order to create an endowment fund for maintenance of the building and for student events.

Cohen said a timeline for the renovation and addition has not yet been established.