Lawn residents for 2006-2007 academic year selected

All of the 47 University students selected to live on the Lawn for the 2006-2007 school year accepted the offer, head Lawn resident Jenni Allen said. Applicants were notified of their status Feb. 10.

There were 283 applicants this year, according to John Evans, director of accommodations for University Housing. This marks a slight increase in applications from 2005, when 275 students applied for the historic housing.

The students were chosen by the Lawn Selection Committee, a group comprised of 35 students. Evans said he oversees the process, which is led by the head Lawn resident, but only students are involved in the making the decisions.

Allen said the application review process is kept confidential. Students submitted applications including essays regarding their involvement in the University and Charlottesville communities as well as about their views of the responsibility that comes with the opportunity to live on the Lawn.

"Living on the Lawn is a privilege and a responsibility," Allen said. "We hope future residents will take it very seriously."

In addition to the 47 residents selected by the Committee, an additional seven Lawn residents will be selected through separate processes in order to fill the endowed rooms on the Lawn. The endowed rooms include the John K. Crispell memorial room, reserved for a pre-medical student; the Gus Blagden, or "Good Guy" room; and rooms for representatives of Resident Staff, Honor, Jefferson Literary and Debating Society, Kappa Sigma fraternity and Trigon Engineering Society. An eighth room on the Range, the PiKa Room, is also traditionally awarded to a fourth year, according to Allen.

Allen said not all of the endowed rooms have been awarded. The possibility exists that a student who already was granted a Lawn room from the Committee could also be offered an endowed room.

"If someone selected for a regular room then gets an endowed room, someone may be pulled up from the wait list," Allen noted.

Allen said if any candidates are taken off the wait list, this will likely occur within the next two and a half weeks.