Bond reneges retirement plans, will teach spring 2006

History Prof. and national NAACP chairman Julian Bond has decided to teach at the University next year, despite having previously announced his intention to retire after the spring 2006 semester.

"I retired from my retirement," Bond said, noting that his change of mind was spurred by the administration's decision to allow him to teach only one day each week.

Bond lives in Washington, D.C. with his wife and found the commute to be "onerous."

In addition to teaching students, Bond will take on two new roles in the University community next year. Bond said he will work with the Carter G. Woodson Institute for Afro-American and African Studies and the Shannon Center for Advanced Studies.

Bond said his new responsibilities include offering advice, staying in contact with University alumni and "just being helpful."

Bond said he would continue to teach "History of the Civil Rights Movement" in a two-hour class that will meet Tuesdays.

Bond said he "surely" will consider continuing to teach at the University as long as he can walk and talk.