Family, friends reflect on life of University student Jennifer Wells

Fourth-year College student Jennifer Leigh Wells passed away Saturday as a result of an unidentified strain of meningitis.

Wells, a psychology major, transferred to the University from James Madison University after her second year, her aunt Barbara Rickards said.

"She felt she was quite honored" to attend the University, Rickards said.

Friends and family remember Wells as an active woman who loved animals and wanted to help others.

Rickards said Wells had hoped to do social work with troubled families after graduation.

Longtime friend Hannah Thompson Pleasants said she remembers Wells' selflessness.

"She was always concerned about helping others before helping herself," Pleasants said.

Friend and College student Kristin Rayner said she and Wells volunteered together at the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and also participated in a weekly elementary school tutoring program.

"We were always very active," Rayner said.

One of Wells' passions was her interest in animals, Rickards noted. Wells owned cats, dogs and horses throughout her life and competed in many statewide dressage competitions.

Rickards said Wells also shared her passion for horseback riding with young children by teaching them how to ride.

Wells also had a love for country music, Rickards said.

"Cowboy boots, jeans and country music -- that was Jennifer," Rickards said.

Wells lived in Charlottesville with her parents while attending the University and was particularly close with her mother, Rickards said.

"I think they were each other's best friend," Rickards said.

Rickards added that the family hopes Wells' death will raise awareness about meningitis.

"We were so ignorant to this whole disease," Rickards said. "If nothing else, I think Jennifer would not want this to happen to anyone else."