Reward offered for information on shooting

Several real estate owners and one concerned parent of a University student have donated over $6,000 as a reward for anyone who has information leading to the arrest of gunmen who shot a University student Sept. 10.

According to Charlottesville Police detective Jim Mooney, police officers responded to a call regarding a robbery and shooting in the 1000 block of Wertland Street at 3:30 a.m. that Saturday morning. The student was then admitted to the hospital.

The suspects are described as two black males, according to a release issued by Charlottesville Police. One suspect is in his late teens or early 20s while the second appeared to be older, possibly over 30 years old. The older suspect was wearing a dark bandana or other type of covering over his face. Both were wearing dark clothing.

Contributors of the reward fund are Woodward Properties Management Services, Wade Apartments, CBS Rentals, Real Properties, Blue Ridge Apartment Council, Charlottesville Apartments and a parent of a University student, Mooney said.

Anyone with information should contact the Jefferson Area Crime stoppers at 977-4000, Mooney added.

"What's terrible about this [situation] is you preach all the safety and tell people to comply," Mooney said. "He complied and he got shot and we're not sure why. It's very concerning to everybody involved."

Charlottesville Apartments President John Crafaik said the Wertland area is not dangerous and he wants students to feel safe there.

According to Crafaik, Charlottesville Apartments donated $1,000 to the reward fund.

"It was such a senseless act by those two individuals," Crafaik said of the shooting. "We think there are probably a couple of people out there with pretty big secrets. We want to motivate somebody who probably knows something to point us in the right direction."