Mid-Autumns Carnival raises $4,000

Hordes of young children and their parents descended upon Mad Bowl Saturday afternoon to enjoy the first annual Mid-Autumns Carnival while also supporting several charitable causes.

Carnival Director Jeremy Pollock estimated that over 3000 people attended the event.

The event -- organized through the work of the four Greek councils, Student Council, Fourth Year Trustees, the Alumni Association, the Parent's Program and the University Programs Council -- raised approximately $4,000 on Saturday alone. Additional funding was gathered ahead of the carnival from sponsors and T-shirt sales, event treasurer Charlie Morgan said.

Proceeds from the event will benefit local after-school programs and Building Tomorrow: Destination Kampala.

Building Tomorrow works to create infrastructure in third-world countries to aid orphans impacted by HIV/AIDS, according to the organization's Web site.

Carnival volunteer Harriett Jameson, an Alpha Phi sorority member, said the event also was a positive experience for the members of the Greek community.

"It's good to see all the fraternities and sororities working to put something on," she said.

Director of Alumni Affairs Wayne Cozart said he was pleased with the "great turnout," noting that attendees included University students, community members and University faculty and staff.

"It was an amazing even that brought together both the Charlottesville and U.Va. community," Pollock said. "We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day."

Attendees had the opportunity to frolic in an inflatable obstacle course, gorge themselves on popcorn and cotton candy, attempt to dunk students and faculty members, practice their sports skills, wander through a haunted house and participate in other activities.

Throughout Mad Bowl, children could be seen enjoying all of the activities.

Seven-year-old cousins Tatyana Stinnie and Kaizana Johnson said they enjoyed the obstacle course most of all, even though it was tricky to navigate.

Their companions, brothers Trey Johnson and Kavon Martinez, listed the haunted house among their favorite aspects of the Carnival.

Jameson said she was glad to see many children from the local community enjoying the event.

Also in attendance were several University athletes who posed for pictures with local children and signed autographs.

James Erickson, track and field team member, said the experience of interacting with athletes in person -- rather than watching them on television -- could encourage children to reach for their dreams.

"It helps them have something to shoot for," Erickson said.