Retired prof. earns first Jefferson Scholars Award

Retired University History Prof. Norman Graebner was honored Friday with the inaugural Jefferson Scholars Foundation Award for Excellence.

Before receiving the award, Graebner presented a lecture titled, "Realism Amid the Perils of Partiality."

The lecture and award presentation were part of this weekend's festivities surrounding the official launch of the University's Capital Campaign.

"It is fitting that as the University is embarking on this campaign to secure its place as a global leader among the centers of learning, we should hear from one of the most distinguished professors," noted Doug Holladay, chair of the Jefferson Scholars Foundation Board of Directors.

Graebner taught at the University from 1967 until 1986 and was named the Randolph P. Compton professor of history and public affairs.

Holladay remembered Graebner, his former professor, as a passionate lecturer who made the subject of American diplomatic history exciting to all students.

"By all measures he has been one of the most recognized and revered professors who ever walked the Grounds," Holladay said, noting that in Graebner's final year at the University, over 600 students filled Old Cabell Hall to take his course.

Though the number of people in attendance at Friday's event did not compare to the size of Graebner's former classes, Graebner noted that the audience was the "most inspiring" one he had addressed since his retirement.

Graebner covered the entire span of American history and foreign affairs during his presentation -- using examples ranging from actions of the Founding Fathers to the current war in Iraq -- to illustrate American partiality, which he deems "the central dilemma of American foreign policy."

Alumni Association Chair Richard Payne said Graebner's lecture provided "another opportunity for many of us to have history come alive."

Following the lecture, Jefferson Scholars Foundation President James Wright presented Graebner with the award, which will be granted only occasionally.

"The foundation's central mission is the pursuit and recognition of excellence," Wright noted. "When we decided to create an award to recognize excellence, it became readily obvious to many of us that the perfect first recipient was Norman Graebner."