New arena energizes fans, is advantage for Cavs

Virginia's upset win over Arizona was a fantastic way to open up the season. However, Sunday night's game was more than just opening night for the Cavaliers; it was also a debut for the John Paul Jones Arena, the Cavaliers' new home. Players and coaches are in unison in their belief that the arena is a tremendous asset to the team.

"It's obvious that it lifts the spirits of our team," Virginia coach Dave Leitao said. "The comfort level of our team is very high in the new arena."

The new arena seats 15,219, nearly double the capacity of the old site, University Hall (8,457). The sellout crowd that turned out for the game against Arizona helped lift the Cavaliers to their improbable victory.

"The crowd was a big part of that win and influenced the other team a lot," sophomore Mamadi Diane said. "The other team was having a hard time because every time there was a big play the crowd made a lot of noise. The crowd gives you that little extra boost and keeps the momentum going."

The location of the "Hoo Crew," the student fan group for Virginia athletics, is also conducive to a lively atmosphere at the games. Hoo Crew members have designated seating next to the sideline and behind the basket. With the Hoo Crew leading the cheers (and the jeers) at such a close proximity to the court, the decibel level in the arena reached levels unheard of at University Hall.

"It was the loudest building I have ever been in," Leitao said. "Everyone rallied around us and kept us going. The Hoo Crew is in a good position and really helped us out."

In addition to the seating the new arena provides, there are also several other features that make the site appealing to players and fans. In the stadium is a top-of-the-line audio-visual system and a center-hung scoreboard with four video screens to accompany the pristine hardwood floor. The building is also equipped with a training room, a strength and conditioning room, an equipment room, and one and a half practice courts available at all times specifically for the teams. There are also luxury suites for privileged alumni to enjoy the games. The Wally Walker Hall of Fame, so named at halftime of the Arizona game after ex-Cavalier Wally Walker, is in the building process.

All of these features are attractive to fans and players, but there is another group that can appreciate the arena that Virginia particularly wants to impress: the recruits.

The arena "has had a major impact on recruiting," Leitao said. "It shows the recruits what they would be living in over the next couple of years. Now that the arena is finished, it gives the recruits something tangible to see and experience."

As the Cavaliers began practicing in the new arena, it took some time for the team to adjust to their surroundings. However, as the team continues to become acclimated to the site, the improved atmosphere and state-of-the-art facilities will give the team a great advantage over their opponents.

"Initially just getting used to the arena was an adjustment," Leitao said. "But the arena is very conducive to the players on the floor and it gives us an opportunity to play in a great environment."