Fresh off the vine

Wine is at the heart of Virginia culture just as much as the legacies of Jefferson, the historic battlefields, foxhunting and the ever-expanding modern landscape of the Washington, D.C. suburbs.In fact, here at the University we are surrounded by many quality wineries, and it's very easy for every (of age) student to take advantage of this aspect of life in the Commonwealth.

I am currently employed at First Colony winery, located in the Monticello wine region about 30 minutes away from the University. Many University students visit First Colony and other local wineries to gain an appreciation for wine. Part of my job includes explaining wine tasting and the history of Virginia wine to patrons.

Wine 101

First, a few general facts to provide some perspective about Virginia's place in the wine community and the role wine plays in Virginian culture: Virginia is the fifth largest producer of wine in the country, following closely by California, Oregon, Washington and New York. On the international scene, Virginia is the largest producer of some popular species of grape, called grape "varietals" in the wine community -- Virginia is the second largest producer of the white varietal Viognier behind the Rhône Valley in France, which is one of the premier wine growing regions in the world.

Historically, the University's founder, Thomas Jefferson, was one of the foremost proponents of establishing wine production in Virginia and is famously quoted as saying "Virginia has every soil, aspect and climate of the best wine countries."

Jefferson and his contemporaries tried for years to produce wine native to Virginia. He was unsuccessful with local grapes, which continuously produced vintages (the year in which grapes were harvested determines a wine's "vintage") that were inferior to their European counterparts. Jefferson also tried unsuccessfully to grow French grapevines in Virginia, but the vinessuccumbed to Virginia's varying climate and pests.

The solution that was eventually devised, and is still in use today, was to create a hybrid grape vine: European grape vines were grafted onto hardy Virginia rootstock, and Virginia was able to produce its own unique variations on the European varietals. Today there are over 120 wineries in Virginia producing distinctive, world-class quality wine

Finally, the University is located in the heart of Virginia wine country:The Monticello wine region, the largest of six wine regions in the state, encircles the University, so all of this quality wine is right around the corner.

In fact, there are more than 20 wineries within an afternoon's drive of the University, nearly all of which offer tours and wine tastings.

For anyone who has limited experience with wine, going to wineries does not have to be an intimidating experience.

Here are a few tips for your first tasting: Use your eyes, then your nose, then your mouth to evaluate the wine. Hold the glass up to a light to get an idea of the color and consistency; cloudiness is a sign of imperfections in the wine, and some wines simply have a more appealing or unique color than others.

Next, bring the glass close to your nose and inhale deeply a few times. Try to keep an open mind about what aromas you might possibly be smelling and don't be afraid to be creative with your interpretations -- if you think the wine smells like lemons, or cherries or even dirt, you may not be far off the mark.

Nearly the same could be said for tasting the wine. The taster should swish the wine around his or her mouth, allowing the wine to touch all parts of the mouth and tongue before swallowing. Again, be creative with your interpretations of the wine's flavor; all wine tasting is very subjective, and there is really no right or wrong answer.

Most wineries have a wine list available that suggests flavors and aromas one might find in the wine, and many tasting-room consultants will suggest the qualities of the wine as well.

With this information in hand, you are ready to start visiting area wineries.

Local wineries offer unique tastes

Like most wineries in the region, Kluge Estate winery is open throughout the week and offers samples of its wines for a small tasting fee.

According to Casey Dovel, manager of the Farm Shop at Kluge Estate, the winery offers "strictly French-style wine," as well as gourmet food. Laura Williams, another manager at Kluge Estate, said the food provides a useful context with which to understand the qualities of the wine "as opposed to just tasting wine in a vacuum."

Dovel said while the winery is visited by a wide variety of people, a large number of its customers are people who are touring the area, visiting Monticello and Ash Lawn.

"The wine industry is going to be a big defining factor in Virginia's tourism," she said.

In fact, one in three tourists to Virginia visits a winery.

When asked why students, especially those who have little to no experience with wine, should come to visit wineries such as Kluge Estate, Williams said wineries offer a great opportunity for education.

Dovel agreed, saying wineries emphasize education as part of the tasting experience. Dovel added that winery employees are always willing to share their knowledge of Virginia wine and offer tips to all beginners.

"It's a good way to start your education," Dovel said.

Chad Zakaib, managing director at Jefferson Vineyards, another area winery, expressed a similar sentiment. According to Zakaib, coming to a winery and seeing the processes of producing wine firsthand gives a beginner a better understanding and an appreciation for what he or she tastes.

"You get a sense of how all of the pieces fit together to make the [wine] blends ... and you get an education in varietals," he said. "There is a tremendous opportunity to begin the process of training your pallet [to more accurately taste wine], and to begin the process of learning about wine."

According to Zakaib, there is a great amount of social currency in having a working knowledge of wine.

"Knowing how to navigate a wine list is increasingly a necessary skill in a sophisticated world," Zakaib said, adding that the Darden School sends students to Jefferson Vineyards to learn about wine, to prepare them for when they might have to impress a client at a business-related dinner.

Zakaib also emphasized the cultural importance of wine in Virginia, and said that one need not travel to California or New York to experience some of the best wine in the country.

"It's important to recognize that the gems are out there," he said.