U.Va. report assesses environmental interest

The University's Office of the Architect recently released a report that reflected interest among University faculty, staff and students in creating a more environmentally friendly community. The report provides the first complete study of the many programs at the University supporting environmental sustainability.

According to John Quale, an assistant professor in the School of Architecture and participant in the assessment process, the study was "an attempt by the Office of the Architect to bring together people across Grounds to assess sustainability in different ways."

Assistant University Architect Connie Warnock said those conducting the assessment looked at the academic endeavors related to sustainability as well as management centers such as housing, dining and parking and transportation.

According to Warnock, those working in the Office of the Architect felt that assessing the University's efforts in terms of environmental sustainability was a necessity.

"We had an idea that our office had a responsibility as those that plan facilities to be mindful of these things and knew that there were lots of groups interested but didn't have a collective overview," said Warnock.

As a result of the assessment, Warnock said her office now has "a strong idea of what to do in terms of planning for land use and buildings in the future."

Quale said he was also enthusiastic about the report but said the office will now most likely face differences in opinion on the best way to proceed.

"There may be a significant amount of debate about what the priorities are," Quale said. He emphasized, however, that the report is helpful because it gives the opportunity to prioritize.

Jackie Kruszewski, Student Environmental Action events coordinator, said it is now important to focus on implementing the information gathered.

"It's a great set of guidelines, the problem is that they are just guidelines and no one is enforcing them or giving an incentive to enforce," Kruszewski said.

According to Kruszewski, the document makes clear that there are ways the University can become more environmentally friendly -- the question now is how to create policies that will accomplish this goal.

"We would love to see renewable energy replacing fossil fuels on Grounds," Kruszewski said. "The document has pictures of solar roofs and windmills, and we would like to see these things actually implemented."