ITC to upgrade wireless network

The University's Information Technology and Communication office plans to improve the "cavalier" wireless network available to students on Grounds by switching to a higher level of encryption May 29.

According to Lauren McSwain-Starrett, ITC public relations and marketing specialist, the tighter encryption will provide students with more security while using the University's wireless network.

Some students might run into problems using the upgraded network if their computers are older, McSwain-Starrett said. She added that students who own Macintosh computers should have no problems but those with who use Windows might experience some obstacles.

"Basically students will want to check and make sure that their wireless card can support the new [encryption]," McSwain-Starrett said.

Students whose computers cannot use the new encryption can either get a driver update or use the University's "wahoo" wireless network. According to McSwain-Starrett, however, the "cavalier" network is much more secure and should be used when making online purchases.

-- compiled by Christina Brown