Softball: Cavs to visit another top-notch team

After picking up a much-needed win Wednesday against Longwood, the Virginia softball team hopes to transfer its success from the middle of the week to the weekend as it takes on yet another solid ACC foe, Florida State.

Translating midweek, non-conference success to ACC wins has been an issue for the Cavaliers (15-31, 1-14 ACC) this season.

"Obviously we haven't done well in ACC play," junior outfielder Lindsey Preuss said. "I think our mindset against an in-state team is that we feel like it's our game to win. I feel like sometimes on the weekends, we maybe aren't going out there with the same mindset that we're going to jump all over them. I think as an outfielder that all I can do is to try and jump on them and put some runs on the board to protect the pitchers."

Virginia's record in ACC games that follow midweek non-conference doubleheaders are telling of this inability for the Cavaliers to keep their momentum going through the weekend. Virginia is 6-3 in the midweek doubleheaders but only 1-14 in the ACC games.

One reason for this statistic may be that ACC teams are simply better than the Cavaliers' midweek opponents this season.

"The tough part is that the level of competition is extremely different," Virginia coach Karen Johns said. "Playing in the ACC and playing some of these top teams like FSU and Georgia Tech still left. They're very good and they're ranked. FSU is in the top 35."

The Cavaliers now must turn their attention to the Seminoles (33-19, 8-6 ACC) to have another stab at defeating an ACC team. FSU represents another solid all-around team for the Cavaliers to battle.

"[Florida State has] excellent team speed," Johns said. "They have a very good No. 1 pitcher in [Tiffany] McDonald. She just throws hard, good stuff. They are a very good offensive team, can run the bases and their team speed is phenomenal."

Junior pitcher Tiffany McDonald, despite being 12-11 on the year, possesses a strong ERA of 1.19. Sophomore Melissa May (10-4, 1.54 ERA) and freshman Terese Gober (9-4, 2.15 ERA) are the other Seminole pitchers.

Florida State's offensive firepower is displayed in the fact that seven Seminoles are batting at least .300. Freshman Carly Wynn is the leader of these seven with a .355 batting average. Senior Yuruby Alicart (.301) leads the team in runs batted in with 39.

It will take another gallant effort from the Cavaliers to compete with the likes of FSU. An asset for the players is that coming off a doubleheader split against Longwood, the Cavaliers feel they are coming together as a team.

It will be their goal to keep their continuity on a high this weekend as they take on FSU.

"I think the thing we need to do is work at supporting each other," Preuss said. "I think in order for us to be able to turn it around and make any sort of run, we're going to have to be able to really work as a team. If we do get down [we need to] really be able to pull each other back up"