First steps taken to build JPA overpass

Charlottesville City Council recently approved the University's plan to construct a pedestrian overpass across Jefferson Park Avenue.

According to University Landscape Architect Mary Hughes, City Council granted air rights, which take into consideration factors like the height of the overpass.

"We bring issues to the floor that we want [the University] to consider," Charlottesville Vice Mayor Kendra Hamilton said. "In this case we'd given them feedback about height and other things."

She added that many members of the community have expressed a desire for a streetcar, so Council wanted a height that could accommodate such plans.

According to Hughes, the overpass, or "terrace," will connect with New Cabell Hall and will be about 18 feet above the ground.

The terrace is part of the South Lawn Project and is estimated to cost nine million dollars, Hughes said.

"Construction will begin on it probably late fall or early into the year of 2009," said supervisory project manager James Kelley. "It will take six to nine months to construct. It will be completed along with the rest of the project late in the year 2010."

The overpass is meant to act as an extension of the Lawn, Hughes said, adding that there will be tall Evergreen hedges and a panel of lawn in the middle of the crossing.

"You'll feel that you're crossing a piece of University landscape," she said.

Kelley added that the 95-foot-wide bridge will have a "structural steel frame with sidewalls and lights."digging for utilities on JPA is the cause of current traffic congestion in the area. In general planning for construction, crews must take into account the fact that JPA is part of the emergency route to the hospital, she noted.

Additionally, the timing of construction work will accommodate potential traffic issues.

"Most of the heavy construction over the road they will do at night, and they will have flag men," she said.

Once the overpass is built, she added, the area will be safer for pedestrians.

"We recognize that it's a difficult street to cross," she said, adding that she hopes the terrace will become "the preferred means of crossing JPA"