Officials address stocking of stadium concession stands after Saturday's shortage of bottled water

Despite an increased inventory and price, many concession stands on the main concourse at Scott Stadium sold out of bottled water during Saturday's football game.In light of the inconveniences caused by the shortage, officials are planning to improve the methods currently in place for stocking the stands.

In anticipation of Saturday's heat, 50,000 bottles of water were on hand to sell, rather than the usual inventory of 15,000, said Jason Bauman, University associate athletics director for facilities and operation. Additionally, according to Bauman, the bottles were priced at $3.50, a 50-cent increase from past years.

In response to the unexpected shortage, many concession stands tried to accommodate fans by selling selling 32 ounces of tap water in a souvenir cup for the same price.

Although a few stands on the upper deck had water available throughout the game, Bauman apologized to fans who were inconvenienced by the shortage.

"We knew it was going to be a hot day," Bauman said. "We had over three times the amount of what we would normally sell, but it wasn't enough."

With temperatures in the mid-90s, some fans were treated for heat-related illness. According to Baumen, cool water was available at no charge for students who visited medical stations in the stadium.

"At every event we make sure we are prepared medically," Bauman said. "We treated a lot of people at our medical stations."

Glenn Gaesser, professor of exercise physiology and director of the University's kinesiology program, explained that heat exhaustion "can occur very easily" on hot, humid days like Saturday.

"You can easily lose a couple of liters in sweat," he said.

Although Bauman said he does not expect thepolicy banning fans from bringing their own water bottles into the stadium will change, he said several improvements will be made before future games such as increasing the inventory of water bottles and implementing an improved system for replenishing supplies at stands that run out of bottled water.

-- compiled by Samantha Koon