Tar Heels fall victim to Gould's kick

Chapel Hill, N.C.-- In a wild game that featured a dramatic two-point conversion attempt to tie the game in the final minutes, a wacky field goal and a malfunctioning clock, it was clear that anything was possible -- even a road victory -- when Virginia traveled to North Carolina to take on the Tar Heels Saturday.

That's just what the Cavaliers (2-1, 2-0 ACC) did, as junior running back Cedric Peerman picked up the final first down in the final minute on a third and three, clinching an improbable 22-20 ACC road win over North Carolina (1-2, 0-1 ACC). This win snapped Virginia's four-game ACC road losing streak.

"It was crucial for us to be able to come down here and get a victory," Peerman said. "It's not just a victory, it's a road victory. It's always tough to win on the road."

North Carolina's bid to tie the game on the previous possession failed when sophomore nose guard Nate Collins batted down a two-point conversion pass from freshman quarterback T.J. Yates. If the pass had been completed, the game would likely have gone into overtime.

Peerman was an important part of Virginia's win. He recorded 186 rushing yards and one touchdown, demolishing his previous single game high of 137 rushing yards he set last week against Duke.

Virginia coach Al Groh praised Peerman and the efforts of the offensive line.

"Cedric once again not only carried the ball, but he carried the flag and the heart for the team," Groh said. "To have those openings, obviously a lot of kids did a real good job to do that. Obviously today was really maybe one of the best times that they've stepped up and we can really say we went and won the game with them."

Senior defensive end Chris Long also stepped up and made a big play for Virginia. Long recorded his first career interception early in the fourth quarter at a critical point in the game. With the score at 19-14 in the Cavaliers' favor, the Tar Heels were driving deep into Virginia territory looking to take the lead when Long snatched Yates' pass out of the air, returning the pick all the way to North Carolina's 30-yard line.

"Every week there's something with Chris," Groh said. "That's obviously an All-American-type play."

The play led to an important final field goal conversion by senior placekicker Chris Gould for the Cavaliers, putting them up 22-14.

Gould had a career day, converting on all five of his field goals, including a career-long 51-yarder late in the first quarter. Freshman long snapper Danny Aiken had a solid day following his troubles last Saturday.

"Our objective was we needed an across-the-board solid performance," Groh said. "That was the message to the special teams -- across-the-board solid performance, in all phases on every play. And we got that."

Although Gould made all of his field goals, one did not come easily and was the strangest play of the day. Gould's kick of 48 yards midway through the third quarter was initially ruled no good by referees; however, Virginia challenged the call and it was overturned.

After the game, Groh and his players said they had never seen anything like that happen.

"That was the first time I've seen that happen," Gould said. "But there's a first time for everything."

An additional oddity throughout the game was the clock, which did not appear on the scoreboard, creating some confusion for the Cavaliers.

"It's really weird because you don't know how much time is left in the game," Gould said. "We kept asking the refs at the end."

Although the final score was close, it did not appear like it would be at the beginning of the game. Virginia shot out to a 16-0 lead midway through the second quarter before the Tar Heels stormed back, mostly on the arm of Yates, who completed 25 of 38 passes for 339 yards and three touchdowns.

Sophomore Jameel Sewell split time with freshman Peter Lalich at quarterback for Virginia, with Sewell getting the majority of the snaps. Sewell says splitting time allowed the quarterbacks to help each other. "When I'm standing on the sideline I can see things a lot better," Sewell said. "I let him know on the phone what's going on, and he tells me what's going on so we're working real good hand and hand. We go together."

While the Cavaliers took a step forward this week at improving, they know they have a big test next week at home against Georgia Tech.

"It was crazy [in the locker room]," Sewell said. "It was a fun atmosphere. You don't want to be in that down mood and it's a real upbeat mood right now. We're ready to go practice so we can go get this win against Georgia Tech."