University officials opt not to demolish New Cabell Hall

University officials have decided not to knock down New Cabell Hall as part of the plans for the South Lawn Project, but will instead renovate the building. The project is not expected to impact other South Lawn Project construction, according to University Architect David Neuman.

The renovation will cost roughly $80 million, Neuman said, whereas to demolish New Cabell and construct a new building would have cost "a minimum of $130 million."

L.F. Payne, chair of the Board of Visitors' Buildings and Grounds Committee, said the Board "felt we could work with what we had there," adding that "it's a matter of properly using resources." Faculty Senate Chair Ricardo Padron said faculty members preferred the original plan.

"The faculty is somewhat disappointed with the recent changes to the project," Padron noted. "However, the University has been successful when remodeling in the past, so there is reason to think Cabell Hall will become another success."

Padron said the remodeling of the building is "an urgent necessity," noting, for example, issues with current classroom space.

"Also, there is neither A/C nor capabilities to keep up with the new technological advances," Padron added. "Things must change."

Neuman explained that these concerns will be remedied in the remodeling of the building.

Interior changes to the building will include removing radiators and adding a new, "quiet and contemporary" air conditioning system, he explained. To accommodate the change, the electrical system will also be rewired.

Additionally, walls will be reconditioned to be more aesthetically pleasing, and new lounge spaces with "soft seating" will be created, according to Neuman. New seating also will be installed in classrooms.

"We will not take out the famous bay window seats that we know a lot of students use," Neuman added.

When the renovations are complete, the building will be fully compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act, providing better entrances and bathrooms for those with disabilities.

In addition, Neuman noted that exterior renovations will include masonry on mortar joints to provide a better seal, as well as reconditioning of windows, to improve appearance and functionality. The courtyard will be relandscaped and outfitted with seats.

Because the project will now be a renovation, the University can request assistance from the Commonwealth for funding.

"The University was collecting money from private organizations in order to fund the initial project," Padron said. "Since the project has changed from demolishing and rebuilding Cabell Hall to remodeling it, the school is now eligible to receive funds from the Commonwealth."

-- Carlos Cueto contributed to this article