Inglot claims regional championship

On an already star-studded Cavalier men's tennis team, yet another standout distinguished himself last week.

Junior Dominic Inglot defeated Virginia Tech senior Albert Larregola to claim the ITA Mideast Regional Singles Championship. Inglot became the first Cavalier to claim the title, and qualified for the ITA National Championships match, to be held Thursday to Sunday at Ohio State University in Columbus.

Dominic was born in London,where he played high school tennis at St. Benedict's School. Athletics are in his blood; his father, Andrei, played professional soccer. Inglot also has a film credit to his name; he served as a tennis double for Paul Bettany, who played Peter Colt in the 2004 movie "Wimbledon."

"In London, the attitude is different," Inglot said. "In the U.S., players are much more confident, aggressive and positive. Players are much more expressive with their body language. You're supposed to show everyone else how much you want to win. English players are much more introverted."

Inglot sat out his first year because of NCAA rules. Though many players would be frustrated by having to sit out, the year off provided Inglot with a low-pressure transition period during which he could get used to playing in the States. The 2006-07 season was his first year competing at the collegiate level. It was a successful start to his career, as he finished the season in the ITA Singles Rankings with a 16-13 record. He also joined forces with sophomore Houston Barrick to form a successful doubles team, compiling a 27-6 record and reaching as high as No. 40 in the ITA Doubles Rankings. Inglot's biggest strengths are his big serve and his ability to tighten his game up and play the percentages, according to coach Brian Boland. His mental makeup is also very good, as he doesn't let adversity affect his game. Inglot also exemplifies the scholar athlete ideal.

"Dom is a tremendous student-athlete," Boland said. "He has managed to play good tennis and earn good grades in the Commerce School."

Inglot said he is excited about the chance to play at the National Championships.

"I feel very confident," he said. "I put in two or three solid weeks of training before the Mideast Championships, and they're paying off. I can't wait, especially since I really like playing indoors."

Inglot also talked about several players from other schools that could have a big impact on the results of the tournament. Ole Miss senior Erling Tveit finished last season ranked No. 8 in singles and made the quarterfinals at the national tournament. He also said that he could end up facing senior teammates Somdev Devvarman or Treat Huey, and that they could provide the stiffest competition of all.

"Playing against a teammate is a bit weird, because no matter what, someone that you want to do well will lose," Inglot said. "But I'm not going to let it faze me if it does happen. At the end of the day, it's just a match. Afterwards, we go home, and we're back to being friends again"