Don't put your money on the odds

The odds were stacked against Virginia.

Quarterback Jameel Sewell's fumble during the first quarter probably cost the Cavaliers at least a field goal. Additionally, his completion percentage was below 50 percent on the day, worsened by several dropped passes by Cavalier receivers throughout the game. Wake Forest cornerback Alphonso Smith blocked a punt during the second quarter that led to three points for the Demon Deacons. Wake Forest quarterback Riley Skinner completed 20 of 26 passes, and All-American place kicker Sam Swank swaggered into the game having missed just one fieldgoal all year -- and that was from 57 yards. Throw on top of that the fact that Wake Forest is the defending ACC champion and had won six consecutive games, and it looked as if the Cavaliers definitely should have lost Saturday.

But how did the Cardiac Cavs respond to the seemingly insurmountable odds? By pulling out another one-point win from the jaws of death, of course. Along the way, they set an NCAA record for the number of wins by two points or fewer with five. It seemed as if it was just another day at work for the Cavaliers.

"I think [winning close games] just comes naturally to us, as unnatural as a one-point win with that many mistakes might seem," defensive end Chris Long said.

The Cavaliers made their share of mistakes, but they were able to win the game by minimizing the damage done.

After Sewell's fumble in the first quarter, the defense could have folded with the huge momentum swing in Wake Forest's favor; instead, it forced a punt.

Following the blocked punt that led to Wake Forest's next possession, the defense found itself thrown quickly back on to the field with its back against the wall at its own 30-yard line. The players thought nothing of it and overwhelmed the Demon Deacon offense again -- forcing a field goal -- keeping the Wake Forest lead within three points at 6-3.

Last week, the defense came up short against N.C. State, but this week, it was the defense that won the game for Virginia. While the defense was waiting for Sewell and company to get a feel for the game during the first half, Long and his buddies calmly kept Wake Forest from scoring, forcing punt after punt.

The pass defense in particular had a very strong game, displaying its resiliency after being embarrassed last week by N.C. State quarterback Daniel Evans. Even though Skinner completed 76.9 percent of his passes, his completions went for only 175 yards and one touchdown. Wide receiver Kenneth Moore, who was averaging more than seven receptions per game and 82.8 receiving yards per game, was limited to only five catches for 59 yards.

By the time the game came down to Wake Forest's final drive, the Cavalier defense was more than prepared to put up a fight.

"We knew the game was going to be on our shoulders," linebacker Clint Sintim said.

The fight came down to the of the final round as the Demon Deacons placed their fortunes on Swank's golden foot with two seconds left in the game.

With a chuckle, Sintim confessed after the game that he didn't know just how skilled a kicker Swank was as the kicker trotted out to try to trounce the hopes of Cavalier fans with a last-second, game-winning 47-yard field goal.

The All-American had not missed a field goal in the 40 to 49 yard range coming into the game and had already clanked one attempt from 43 yards off the left upright during the second quarter. In other words, he was probably going to make the kick, and the odds were once again not stacked in Virginia's favor. But we've learned this year that the Cavaliers have a way of defying the odds, haven't we?

It was clear that Swank had missed because as the kick went sailing through the air, the Hoos on the hill who had a good angle on the floating ball went nuts. Pandemonium erupted soon thereafter.

"I was praying the whole time," senior tight end Tom Santi said. "I kind of heard the crowd before I could tell [that he had missed]. That was very exciting."

Critics, fans and undoubtedly some students will think the Cavaliers were lucky to escape with another nail-biting win. But if you're a team that has won this many close games, maybe you're not lucky, but just good. It's time to embrace the fact that this team is good and always finds ways to win, whether it's the gritty defense, first-career touchdown and huge fourth-down conversion of wide receiver Maurice Covington, Sewell's engineering of the game-winning drive, or Santi and cornerback Chris Cook playing banged up and making contributions.

Another close win for the Cardiac Cavs is just another day at work. With a legitimate shot at going to the ACC Championship, fans should clock in with the players.

Be sure to bring your lunch pail.