Universitas 21 gains new member

Universitas 21, an international network of leading universities including the University of Virginia, welcomed the University of Delhi as its 22nd member last week.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of Universitas 21, which was founded by the University of Melbourne, according to University Law Prof. Peter Low, the local U21 contact manager. The University of Virginia is the only U.S. institution that is part of the coalition, and University President John T. Casteen, III chairs the network.

Through this global network, U21 encourages schools around the world to work together as a global resource for students, according to Low and Casteen.

"The goal is to open up global opportunities for persons teaching, studying, and conducting research in research-intensive universities, to speed progress in research on matters of common interest, and to encourage faculty communication," Casteen stated in an e-mail.

Low explained the University of Delhi was invited to join the coalition because its geographic area is underrepresented in U21. Currently, South America and Africa are not represented, although Low said he hopes U21 will expand to include these two continents in the future. Low added that he expects to see the organization gain at least two new members in the near future, bringing the total number of universities to 24.

Casteen noted the University of Delhi is known for its "excellence in research that is relevant to the U21 Network research agenda," such as work with air and water quality and sustainable food supplies, and added that the University of Delhi is enthusiastic about the program.

"They want access to the U21 exchanges, and they want students and faculty members from U21 universities to come to them," he stated.

Deepak Pental, University of Delhi vice chancellor, who could not be reached for comment, echoed Casteen's sentiments in a University press release.

"I am delighted that the University of Delhi formally joins the Universitas 21 network, and makes an institutional leap in its continuing commitment to internationalization," he stated.