U.Va. continues to phase in IDs

One semester after receiving new identification cards, some students have questioned why Social Security numbers are still in use.

The University distributed new ID cards with randomly-generated student identification numbers at the beginning of the semester as part of an effort to phase out Social Security numbers and make students' personal information more secure, according to Shirley Payne, director for security coordination and policy in the Office of Information Technology and Communication.

"This was a major step in an initiative to minimize the use of Social Security numbers for business processes within the University," Payne said, noting that the previous ID cards had sensitive information embedded in the magnetic strip on the back.

She stressed that it will take time to fully transition to University ID numbers, but that the University has already phased out Social Security numbers for some of its operations.

"Previously when a student signed on to ISIS, he or she had to give their Social Security number to gain access to that," Payne said. "Now they have the option of gaining access through entering their University ID number instead of their Social Security number."

Payne said the University initially had hoped to implement a new identification system during the transition to the course enrollment system that will replace ISIS. She added, however, that replacing ISIS is a long-term project and that the threat of identity theft made new University IDs an urgent necessity.

"It was something that we had wanted to do for a long time," Payne said.

In reference to reports of accidental information leaks last year that compromised some students' information Payne added, "It became really clear last year that the University just could not wait ... that we needed to do something now."

Despite the introduction of the new ID numbers, some students have noted that the University ID is still not accepted in all capacities.

"I think it was a good idea and the intentions of having a randomized number instead of a Social Security number was a good thing, but they're not realizing it," fourth-year College student Jasmine Kwon said.

Kwon said she understands that the transition will take time, but that the risks remain high for students who have to place their Social Security number on graduation or other administrative forms.

"It's one thing to do these things over the Internet in a secure kind of way, but it's another to have a piece of paper or many pieces of paper just laying around for people's disposal," Kwon said.

Payne said some aspects of University life will likely always require Social Security numbers because of federal requirements, such as employment and financial aid.

"If a student is getting financial aid, the federal agency that we work with on financial aid requires us to report financial aid based on Social Security number," Payne said.

Payne added, however, that University ID numbers will eventually predominate wherever possible.

"We're going to be looking at every form that collects Social Security numbers now and requiring some justification for that," Payne said.