House halts vaccine mandate

Republicans and Democrats clashed in the House of Delegates earlier this week before passing a bill that could delay mandatory human papillomavirus? vaccinations for school-aged girls.

If approved by the Virginia Senate and the governor's office, the bill, sponsored by Del. Robert Marshall, R-Manassas, will prevent a previously approved mandate for vaccination against HPV from going into effect until 2010, rather than in October 2008. Though research has linked HPV, one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases, to cervical cancer, attempts to make the HPV vaccine mandatory have met much debate.

"I'm convinced that there needs to be more research," Marshall explained. "Questions remain about potential behavior changes, and the public reaction is uncertain. We don't know what the consequences are."

Marshall added that the vaccine in question, known as Gardasil, may, in the future, present currently unknown health risks.

"If this ends up sterilizing all the girls that take it, or something like that, [the government] then has a responsibility, a moral obligation, to help them," Marshall said, noting that "nature has a delicate balance [and] immobilizing one disease could unleash something else."

Marshall also expressed concern that a mandate would create a "vaccination monopoly," forcing an increase in the cost of the vaccination. The initial passage of the mandatory vaccination bill, he added, was strongly supported by Merck & Co., Inc., the developer of Gardasil.

"They can charge us whatever they want," Marshall said, adding that the delay in implementing the mandate might allow other companies time to do their own vaccine research, eventually creating competition and driving down prices.

House Democrats, however, balked at Marshall's notions.

"Del. Marshall brought up how some girls got a rash on their arm from the vaccine," said Del. Vivian Watts, D-Annandale. "Well that's often the result with any vaccine."

Watts said a side effect such as a rash was not comparable to the "life and death situation" potentially facing those who develop cervical cancer.

"They need to do this before they have the chance of even getting the disease," Watts said, adding that Marshall was trying to "create fear unnecessarily" and delay a "life-protecting measure."

Del. Kristen J. Amundson, D-Mount Vernon, agreed with Watts.

"I am a cancer survivor and a mother of a daughter," Amundson said. "It's about saving lives and preventing cancer."

Both Amundson and Watts added that Marshall's bill has the potential to disenfranchise poorer and less-educated families. They said without a government-backed mandate, many girls may be unaware of the vaccine, solely because of their social standing.

Marshall, however, scoffed at such an idea.

"The Democrats," Marshall said, "always want to bring the poor into everything. They'll socialize anything. Don't bring up the poor. Let's talk about public health."

Marshall also noted that a vaccination mandate has the potential to be what he called "coercive," eliminating freedoms entrusted to parents and guardians of children.

Amundson and Watts, however, said they firmly believe the possible benefits of a state-mandated HPV vaccination outweigh any risks, emphasizing the fact that no serious risks have yet been associated with Gardasil.

"I would never wish that on my worst enemy in the world," Amundson said while speaking about her personal experience with cancer and chemotherapy treatment. "If this vaccine saved one woman, it would be worth it."

The bill, officially called HB 188, passed 57-39 in the House and will next be heard by the Senate.