University remembers Prof. Nock

Students and faculty in the department of sociology are mourning the loss of a respected professor and colleague after Prof. Steve Nock passed away Sunday night at the University Medical Center following complications from a surgical procedure.

Sociology Prof. Paul Kingston, a close friend of Nock, said his colleague suffered from several long-standing health problems but that Nock rarely mentioned his illness to colleagues and friends.

"It came as a surprise to a lot of people, because he never talked about his health problems to anyone," Kingston said.

During his time at the University, Nock published numerous articles in prominent sociology journals and authored several books. Kingston cited one work in particular -- "Marriage in Men's Lives" -- as Nock's most famous book, which "essentially showed that marriage induced guys to live a lot better than they otherwise would." Kingston said Nock also received awards and distinctions for his research.

In addition to his scholarship, Nock was very highly regarded by his students, Sociology Prof. Tom Guterbock said.

"Steve was a master teacher," Guterbock said. "There are hundreds of professors at U.Va. and very few enjoy the love from their students that Steve received."

Kingston echoed that sentiment, noting that Nock also received numerous teaching awards.

"He gave himself fully and enthusiastically to all his students," Kingston said. "He loved the University with his full heart. He is the kind of professor that can make U.Va. proud."

In addition to his teaching talent and scholarly credentials, several of his colleagues remembered a kind, friendly individual.

"The reason he was my best friend was that he was so fun to be with, so caring about others, and just really interesting and smart," Kingston said.

Nock also brought a very welcome presence to the departmental offices, according to Sociology Prof. James Hunter.

"He was there always before eight o'clock and always put in a lot of hours, but in doing that he always had his door open," Hunter said. "Both students and faculty would take advantage of that."

Guterbock said he hopes the University will remember Nock's courage in every aspect of his life.

"He was courageous in the face of his medical problems that he faced through his adult life, and he was courageous in his scholarship, because he didn't always agree with the conventional view in sociology," Guterbock said.

Even when he challenged those conventional views, Hunter said Nock's ideas were widely respected because colleagues had such faith in the reliability of his research.

"I admired him, not only as a scholar, but I admired him as a person and I'm very sad to see him pass," Hunter said.

Guterbock also noted that Nock was a gifted singer and he often brought that talent into the office atmosphere.

"Steve loved music, and he was always singing and whistling in the hallways," Guterbock said. "Everything from Bach to country music. And we will miss hearing Steve as he walked down the hall"