Track team sprints into New York meet

As the Virginia track and field team comes off a solid performance in the Penn State National Open, the Cavaliers are looking toward the Armory Collegiate Invitational as another chance for their athletes to qualify for the NCAAs. Senior All-American Emily Harrison ran a sparkling 4:46 in the 1600 meters last weekend at Penn State, qualifying for the NCAA National meet in an event that isn't even her primary race. Harrison's strong finish demonstrates the team's strong potential.

"Our biggest highlight at that meet was Emily Harrison," Virginia coach Randy Bungard said. "She's already a national-caliber 5K and 10K runner, so for her to do so well in the mile means that we might be able to get a female distance-medley relay at nationals. The most important part of that is the mile anchor, and it would be great if she could provide that."

Sophomore sprinter Ayla Smith also had a great performance, running the second-best time in Virginia history in the 60-meter hurdles and setting a personal record in the open 400 meters.

Several other athletes set personal records, including junior Sara Casscells, who ran a 2:11 in the 800 meters. Senior Reuben Jones put up a career-best time as well, clocking in at 21.82 in the 200 meters. The winner of the event registered one of the fastest times in the world, a testament to how competitive the meet actually was.

"This was a very competitive meet," senior thrower Billie Jo Grant said. "I placed fourth in the shot put, and the girls in front of me were among the top 10 in the nation."

Other highlights from the meet included junior Andy Biladeau, who ran a 4:10 mile, and star recruit Lyndsay Harper, who ran a 1:16 in the 500. The men's high jumpers also showed early consistency. Sophomore Arthur Gennari jumped 6 feet 7 inches, and freshman Greg Nelson jumped 6 feet 9 inches.

The Cavaliers' next meet is the Armory Collegiate Invitational in New York City next weekend. The Cavaliers will benefit from a faster surface, much like this past weekend at Penn State, because of the make of the track and because the meet will be indoors.