Appeal fails;expulsion at Wise stands

Undergraduate student Steven Daniel Barber learned yesterday that his appeal to the University's College at Wise regarding his expulsion was denied. Barber recently was told he was not welcome on Wise's campus after the discovery of three guns in his car located on campus.

Barber admitted he possessed the weapons when police questioned him after concerned students and a professor raised concerns about a short story Barber wrote for a creative writing class. Barber said he was placed under a temporary detention order, and after "three solid days of observing," doctors determined that he was not a threat to himself or others. A judge determined, according to Barber, that committing Barber involuntarily would not be necessary.

Barber said he now plans to take legal action, claiming his expulsion was unwarranted because he had a permit for the guns.

"There was no explanation above saying 'You had a firearm on campus,'" he said. "They didn't say if it was punitive for bringing a gun, or if it was preventative because they still think I'm crazy."

Because of his expulsion, Barber said he must immediately pay off the student loans he had intended to take care of after graduation. To pay his outstanding bills, as well as the cost of upcoming legal fees, the 23-year-old Navy veteran said he plans to re-enlist.

In addition to concern about the handling of his expulsion, Barber said he believes there was a miscommunication between Wise and the Commonwealth Attorney's office, resulting in the suspension of his gun permit.

"The argument at the hearing was that I was involuntarily committed, which is not true," he said.

The Commonwealth Attorney's office of Scott County disagreed with Barber's contention. Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Dan Fellhauer said Commonwealth Attorney Marcus McClung took "proactive steps" in issuing the temporary suspension of the gun permit because of the facts and circumstances surrounding Barber's short story and the guns, not because of the detainment.

Barber said he plans to contest the suspension, but noted he is waiting for the return of his medical records before contacting an attorney.

He said his hope for the result of a potential suit against Wise would be reinstatement as a student, adding that he did not know yet whether he would seek damages for tuition and the violation of his privacy among other things.

Gary Juhan, Wise vice chancellor for administration, said Wise could not comment on legal issues.

"As far as the College is concerned, it's a closed issue," he said.