Committee selects 47 new Jeff Scholars

After a selection process involving tests, seminars and interviews, 47 prospective University students were offered admission to the University as Jefferson Scholars Monday.

The Jefferson Scholars Foundation is designed "to identify, attract, and nurture individuals of extraordinary intellectual range and depth who possess the highest qualities of leadership, scholarship, and citizenship" according to the Foundation's Web site.

Prospective scholars received notice of their acceptance via e-mail Monday afternoon, following a weekend at the University, Jefferson Scholars Foundation President James H. Wright said.

The events of the weekend provided the selection committee, composed of alumni, faculty, administrators and friends of the University, with information to make their final decisions. According to third-year College student Jennifer Cano, a current Jefferson Scholar, 94 prospective students participated in the weekend's events.

Wright said prospective students were evaluated on their performance on a math test and an essay in addition to their participation in two faculty-moderated seminars and a personal interview.

The prospective Jefferson Scholars spent most of Thursday attending classes; however, the weekend did not consist entirely of selection-oriented activities, said high school senior Karoline Evin, who was notified Monday of her admittance into the program. She explained that prospective students were given a lot of free time, during which they were able to experience various aspects of University life.

During her stay at the University, Evin said she spent time in dormitories with students, visited Arch's and surveyed Grounds, among other activities.

Evin said these times were especially helpful to recognize the "intangibles" that brochures and informational sessions do not define. She added that she felt the weekend was well-planned and noted the current Jefferson Scholars were very welcoming.

"I really enjoyed the entire weekend," Evin said.

Before the finalists' weekend visit, several steps narrowed the group of candidates, Wright said.

"We invited almost 3,000 secondary schools in 48 different regions to nominate the student in the senior class who the school thought was the most outstanding in leadership, scholarship and citizenship," Wright said, adding that nearly 1,000 applications were subsequently submitted.

The Office of Admission also notifies the foundation of qualified students who do not live within one of the predetermined regions.

The group of prospective students offered the scholarship have until April 21 to accept, and the final list of Jefferson Scholars for the class of 2012 will be released May 1.