Cavaliers make strides despite loss against Deacons

Virginia holds Wake Forest to single goal, fails to tally goal in second straight ACC game

The Virginia women’s soccer team played from behind when it faced Wake Forest at Klöckner Stadium yesterday.

Similar to the game against North Carolina, Virginia allowed its opponent to score for the first time in the 59th minute of play; however, the Orange and Blue were able keep Wake Forest from scoring again. Although the Demon Deacons came out with the 1-0 victory, Virginia coach Steve Swanson said in a comparison of the two games, Virginia played much better against Wake Forest than against North Carolina.

“We talked about [managing the game from behind] a little bit,” Swanson said. “We had some decent looks toward the end of the game even when they were playing pretty compact and still behind the ball. So I was happy with that progress.”

Against both the Demon Deacons and the Tar Heels, Virginia switched to a more aggressive playing style, moving from the normal 4-3-3 to a more aggressive 3-4-3,. Though their play yesterday did not result in a Cavalier victory, the Cavaliers had more success against Wake than against North Carolina, which scored another four goals after its initial score in its matchup with Virginia.

One of the Cavaliers’ opportunities yesterday came in the form of a drive to the goal by freshman forward Lauren Alwine in the 87th minute.

“In the play of the game [the move to the goal] was just so fast,” Alwine said, adding that she, “just wanted to put one on goal that had a chance.”

While she made strong moves to put herself one-on-one with the goalie from 15 yards away, she had a tough angle and was unable to find the back of the net, putting the ball just wide of the near post.

“We haven’t shown the same sharpness that we have shown throughout the year,” she said. “We just seem to be forcing things too much — almost trying too hard if I can say that. It’s led to a lot of turnovers and not as much creative play as we normally have.”

One of the more discouraging statistics for the Cavaliers was the total shots: 7-3 in Virginia’s favor. The Demon Deacons managed the only goal of the game with a volleyed corner kick.

“It was on a throw-in,” senior goalie Celeste Miles said. “The girl broke free and was coming down the end line and sent a really nice ball to the other side of the sticks where the girl was open and put it in.”

While the game did not have any implications for Virginia’s seeding in the ACC Tournament, it could come into play in the NCAA Tournament.

The ACC Tournament starts Wednesday, when Virginia faces Wake Forest again in the first of the tournament’s three rounds, all of which are single elimination. Virginia will need to bounce back from a rough stretch in its last three games, in which the Cavaliers have gone 0-2-1.

“I think it was a tough loss given the way it was Senior Day and things like that,” Swanson said. “But I’m confident that we can bounce back. We’ve got a lot of leadership ... really there is a lot to play for right now. We just [have] to put this behind us.”