A practical approach

Student’s Council free late-night parking proposal could increase student safety

Student Council’s proposal to the University’s Parking and Transportation Committee for free late-night parking in the Central Grounds Parking Garage will benefit student safety if implemented. Though The Cavalier Daily criticized the initial proposal earlier this year, recent adjustments make that make the program better able to accomplish its goals.

The main problem with Council’s original plan was enforcement. Free late-night parking is a great idea — but one that will only work as long as it is not abused. Since the proposal requires validation of parking tickets and, according to a press release, states that the users would only be “exempt from the parking fee they would have accrued between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.,” no one can park in the garage during the night and leave their car all day for free. Only those using the libraries in the appropriate time period benefit from the program. This change allows the program to accomplish its goals without affecting the availability of parking spaces for paying customers.

The free parking program is also much more affordable than other programs aimed at improving student safety, such as the recently implemented FreeRide program. While FreeRide requires Council to cover costly taxi fares, Council would expect to pay $230 per week on average for late-night parking, according to data collected by Council. This program would be a practical alternative to the FreeRide program since it serves many of the same purposes but is much more affordable. Though Student Council President Matt Schrimper said that the FreeRide program is targeting a different subset of students needing late-night transportation, this need is already addressed by SafeRide. Instead of competing with a University provided service, Council should complement it. Free late-night parking accomplishes this, and any left-over funds budgeted for FreeRide can be given to SafeRide for improvements. Schrimper said that, if approved, the program will most likely start next semester and that Council is willing to subsidize the program this spring.

One concern with this program is the safety of the parking garage late at night. The garage is open to anyone, and increased traffic may also increase the number of robberies and attacks. Council’s press release stated, “the parking garage will become safer for all those that park there late at night, as the traffic in the garage will undoubtedly increase with this new system.” While there may be safety in numbers, Council should not assume that more cars in the garage will mean more people at all hours of the night. Security must be increased in order to ensure the program is safe for students. “The University Police Department has been incredibly helpful,” Schrimper said, noting Council will recommend regular patrols of the garage would be a recommendation if the program is approved.

On the whole, the proposal for free late-night parking is an a worthy alternative to the expensive FreeRide program. If this program is put into place, it will contribute to a safer On-Grounds environment to the benefit of the University community.