Tableau Top 10

Music:

10. Cut/Copy — In Ghost Colours
These dance-punkers came into their own this year with an album populated by catchy melodies, upbeat grooves and “Hearts on Fire” – one of the year’s best singles.

9. Hercules and Love Affair — Hercules and Love Affair
Hercules and Love Affair’s self-titled debut was the spiritual heir to LCD Soundsystem’s Sound of Silver, offering up this year’s selection of disco anthems.

8. M83 — Saturdays = Youth
M83’s love letter to the 1980s is at once nostalgic and refreshing, filled with fresh tracks that sound as though they could be coming from vintage radio.

7. Lil’ Wayne — Tha Carter III
This year’s album from mainstream rap’s resident eccentric was his biggest and best yet — who could deny chart-toppers like “A Milli” and “Lollipop”?

6. Nine Inch Nails — The Slip
Trent Reznor’s no-strings-attached free download for this album may have gotten the blogs talking, but even more impressive was the music — his best since the 90s.

5. Portishead — Third
After a long hiatus, trip-hoppers Portishead returned with an album that was instantly heralded as an equal to their fantastic work from last decade.

4. Fleet Foxes — Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes’ self-titled debut heralded the arrival of 2008’s most promising new band, sounding like the Beach Boys camped out somewhere in the Cascade Range.

3. Deerhunter — Microcastle
Deerhunter’s Bradford Cox continues to turn out music at an incredible rate, and each  release betters the last — at this rate, the band’s next will be one of the decade’s best.

2. Vampire Weekend — Vampire Weekend
The debut from Cambridge University’s finest distilled Paul Simon’s Graceland into no-frills pop songs that were fun and preposterously, unpretentiously catchy.

1. TV on the Radio — Dear Science
Realizing the enormous potential of Return to Cookie Mountain and then some, TV on the Radio’s latest opus is funkier, catchier and more immediate than its forebears.

Movies:

10. Quantum of Solace
The latest Bond flick didn’t quite match the excellence of 2006’s Casino Royale, but it was still one of the year’s most engaging and enjoyable action flicks.

9. Australia
Already hailed as one of the best films of the year, Australia merges drama and beauty without the usually requisite cheesiness — a must-see.

8. Smart People
The quirky, yet sassy indie-flick of the year.

7. Sex and the City
Fans waited long enough for the TV show to hit the big screen and luckily, few were disappointed.

6. Burn After Reading

A star-studded cast of George Clooney, Frances McDormand, John Malkovich and Brad Pitt served as the tinder for one of the Coen Brothers’ greatest comedies yet.

5. Tropic Thunder
The funniest film of the year, without a doubt. With some of comedy’s heavy hitters and a meta concept — a film within a film — there’s little not to “lol” about.

4. Iron Man
While this editor was skeptical, the film met all expectations and earned actor Robert Downey, Jr. double accolades on tableau’s top 10 of 2008.

3. WALL-E
One of the finest Pixar movies was also, without a doubt, one of the most endearing films of the year. Who knew that robot romance could be so adorable?

2. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
This French film was both heart-wrenching and magnificently produced, earning its place as one of the year’s finest and most affecting feature films.

1. The Dark Knight
Combine Bale, Ledger and Eckhart with the classic Batman tale, bake until golden brown, then sit back and enjoy the most deliciously epic film of the year.