Alito to headline Law School conference

Supreme Court Associate Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr, will be the keynote speaker for the 10th annual Conference on Public Service & the Law, hosted at the Law School from Jan. 30 to 31.

“We want to highlight how public service has played a role in developing the law; what it means to be a public servant,” conference co-chair Nicole Stockey said of the conference, whose theme is “be not the bystander.”

The conference will help to emphasize the importance of pro bono work, to which the Law School always has been committed, Stockey said. Alito has the ideal background for a keynote speaker, Stockey added, because “he has a pretty significant career in public service.”

Previously, Stockey said, the annual conference has only hosted one Supreme Court associate justice: Steven Breyer. She added that event organizers are excited to host another.

“We wanted someone who would inform what it means to serve the public and have a career in public service,” she said.

Previous conference speakers have included Gov. Timothy Kaine and Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., Stockey said. Best-selling author John Grisham will also speak at this year’s event, she noted.

—compiled by Betsy Graves