Smith pledges $10.7 million to build new band rehearsal hall

Frequent contributor’s gift will go toward construction of indoor practice facility

Hunter J. Smith, a long-time University donor, recently pledged $10.7 million to the University’s McIntire Department of Music for the construction of a rehearsal hall.

The building will provide an indoor practice space for the basketball band, concert band, wind ensemble and marching band, University spokesperson Carol Wood said.

Because of the large size and physical constraints of Old Cabell Hall, the marching band has not been able to use the building. The band thus has been limited to outdoor practice.

“If there is bad weather, that’s tough, and we usually cannot practice,” Director of Bands Bill Pease said, noting that a rehearsal hall will make practices more regular and eliminate “painful outdoor practices on cold November nights.”

The building also will consist of “a large open room, a music library and facilities for changing,” Wood said.

Most importantly, Pease said, “a rehearsal hall will give the kids an opportunity to improve and hone their skills.”

Along with her late husband, Carl W. Smith, Mrs. Smith gave $1.5 million to launch the Cavalier Marching Band in 2003, helping with start-up costs for uniforms and instruments, Pease said. In addition to monetary funding, Smith supports the marching band by attending game performances and meeting with students.

Construction of the rehearsal hall will begin within the next year and is expected to finish before summer 2011, according to a University press release. The hall will be located on the University’s Arts Common across from Ruffin Hall, the recently constructed studio art building. Wood said Smith wants the building to reflect the University’s traditional architecture.

President John T. Casteen, III expressed his gratitude for the donation in the release, explaining that, “Hunter’s continued leadership and interest in the development of the band program will benefit not only generations of music students here at the University, but also thousands of loyal University supporters. We are once again indebted to her for her generosity and her creativity.”

Smith and her late husband are among the University’s most generous donors, Wood said. In 1997, they contributed $23 million to the expansion of Scott Stadium. They also have contributed generous amounts to the Architecture, Law, Medical and Darden Schools; the Children’s Medical Center; historic preservation; the Jefferson Scholars Program; athletics; and the University’s College at Wise.