University offers admission to prospective class of 2013

Roberts says acceptance rate declined in light of increased application quantity, quality

The University offered admission to 6,331 students from across the U.S. yesterday, putting together a prospective class of 2013 from an application pool that saw an increase in the number of applications, international students and financial aid requests.

Exactly 21,839 prospective students submitted applications this year, more than ever before, Admissions Dean Greg Roberts said, adding that the number of applicants represents a 17 percent increase from the 18,598 students who applied last year.

“Percentage increase [from last year] of in-state versus out-of-state was very similar,” Roberts said. From Virginia, 7,663 students applied compared to 13,764 out-of-state students. A total of 6,331 students were offered admission to the University. Of those accepted, 3,276 students were from Virginia and 3,055 were from outside the state, meaning that the University’s in-state admission rate was 42.7 percent while the out-of-state rate was 22.1 percent.

The record number of applicants pushed the overall acceptance rate down to 28.9 percent from 35 percent last year, Roberts said.
Roberts attributed the increase in applications to the University’s decision to accept the Common Application. He also cited the slumping economy as another reason for the increase.

“I think we are considered to be a pretty good bargain in a time when families are being very careful about their spending,” Roberts said, noting that interest in state schools in general is up this year because of their cost-effectiveness.

There also was a noticeable increase in the number of international applicants, Roberts said, adding that a significant number of applications were received from Asia, specifically China. A total of 2,188 international students applied for admission into the class of 2013, up from 1,484 applicants for the class of 2012.

“I think China is more open now, for one,” Roberts said, adding that the University heavily targeted China during last year’s recruitment process.

Of the 6,331 students offered admissions, 3636 students are Caucasian, 670 are African-American, 861 are Asian, 399 are Hispanic and 42 are American Indian, Roberts said.

Accompanying the prospective class of 2013’s increased international diversity could be increased financial diversity, Financial Aid Director Yvonne Hubbard said. She noted that, given the current economic situation, she expects a “spike in the number of students on financial aid for the next couple of years,” which will level out as the economy improves.

She said she is confident that her office will be able to handle the increase in applications, but also added that because of the new Student Information System, the department is already slower than usual in processing financial documents, Hubbard said.

“We are learning quickly,” she said, noting, though, that she has asked students to remain patient with Financial Services because the office is simultaneously dealing with a high numbers of applicants and difficulties adapting to SIS.

In addition to a more international and socioeconomically diverse class, the increased number of applications means the prospective class of 2013 is slightly more academically competitive than previous years’ classes.

The average admitted student’s SAT score was 1390, Roberts said, and the middle 50 percent of students admitted had scores between 1300 and 1480. The average SAT score is up 10 points from last year, and both the midrange numbers are 20 points higher than last year. Also, 91 percent of admitted students were in the top 10 percent of their graduating class.

“We’re seeing students who we have waitlisted who a few years ago would be Echols,” Roberts said.