An honest opinion & Going green

An honest opinion

When faced with stacks of glossy brochures and magazines highlighting the best aspects of various institutions, it can be difficult for prospective college students to know what daily life would be like at any particular university. A recently created blog moderated by Global Students Council offers a useful, honest picture of the University from current students’ perspectives.

The purpose of the “World of Wahoos!” blog is to give prospective international students an insider’s view regarding aspects of student life ranging from classes to extracurricular activities. A commenting feature also allows readers to ask questions and receive feedback from current University students. The blog’s features are beneficial not only for prospective international students, but also for prospective American students. Out-of-state students considering attending the University may not have friends or relatives who previously studied on Grounds, and therefore may have few personal connections that they can use to learn more about the University. An opportunity to interact with current University students via a blog could encourage more students to seriously consider applying to the University or accepting their offers to study on Grounds.

For this blog to be as useful as possible, it requires effective advertising. GSC currently works with the Office of Admissions to inform international students about the blog and also plans to include information about it in future admissions packets. It would not be difficult — nor would it detract from the blog’s goal — to ensure that other prospective students are aware of this resource. The Office of Admissions should place a link to the blog in a prominent location on the University’s admissions Web page. If more people become aware of the blog, this student-run site could help the University continue to attract a high-quality, diverse group of students.

Going green

Members of the University community ought to strive for sustainability on a daily basis, rather than only thinking about energy reduction during special occasions, like Earth Hour. Earth Hour is meant to effect sustained change, not to be observed annually as a single deviation from wasteful standards. Yet it seems that sustainability has not yet become a lifestyle at the University. It only takes a few seconds to flip light switches and shut down electronic devices, for example, yet pedestrians walking across Grounds late at night can regularly see lights shining in vacant dining halls and classroom buildings.

Reducing wasteful energy usage is not only compatible with the University’s attempts to become more environmentally friendly; it is also economically pragmatic. In the current economic climate, there is no reason why the University should not try to reduce its energy bills in an effort to avoid having to reduce other expenses relating directly to academics.

Improving the University’s energy consumption will not be possible, however, with only the support of administrators or facilities management staff members. Other community members also need to realize that every hour should be treated as Earth Hour.