Benefiting from honor

The community of trust must be actively upheld to realize the benefits of the honor system

When considering the benefits of the honor system, it is often easier to grasp concrete examples than to attempt to explain the system’s philosophical underpinnings. But in reality, the honor system does not regularly afford students tangible benefits. It may be true a student can lose his wallet and have it returned, or leave his laptop unattended without fear of it being stolen. These are manifestations, however, and not the intent of the University’s honor system. The honor system is the outward expression of the belief that University students hold each other to a higher standard. The true benefits can only be realized if students commit to upholding the community of trust, and this will only happen when all students understand the value of honor.

Students should not hesitate to hold their peers accountable for acting honorably. Single sanction is not the only way to stop students from committing honor offenses. Simply telling a fellow student you witnessed him committing an honor offense can go a long way toward preserving the community of trust. Students do not have to look to the Honor Committee to uphold the values of honor — they can do so themselves.

One noticeable lapse in the honor system is evident from signs in the libraries: “Thefts have been reported. Please guard your valuables.” If the University is a community of trust, why are students’ possessions being stolen?

The nature of the University as a public institution means that students are not the only ones who walk these Grounds. People outside the community of trust are allowed into our University. Because of this, students must take a more active role in upholding the community of trust. Students should not hesitate to ask other students to keep an eye on their belongings, or to remain aware of their surroundings. If students actively work to promote the community of trust, the tangible benefit of being able to leave belongings unattended will follow.

Education is key to ensure all students understand the community of trust rests in their hands. The Committee has education and outreach programs, but those too often rely on the examples of tangible benefits to explain the honor system’s value. Committee Chair David Truetzel said, “Showing tangible benefits can help foster appreciation of the philosophical aspects of honor.” Though this is true, the concrete benefits of the honor system should be realized as the examples they are instead of the purpose of the system itself.

To reinforce the true benefits of the honor system, Truetzel said the Committee is looking into ways to reach out to prospective students and impart the importance of the honor system to University life. He noted this will require a lot of support from the administration, but any efforts in this direction are laudable. Though it may be difficult to coordinate an effective effort to educate prospective students, it is undeniably worth exploring better education of all incoming students on their responsibility to uphold the honor system.

At the “Honor benefits benefit” held last week, fliers were passed out detailing five benefits of the honor system. Four of the benefits listed were concrete and unlikely to affect every single student at the University. But one did: “University graduates earn a reputation for honesty that they carry with them as professionals.” Benefits like this one are the result of active student participation in the community of trust. Before the true benefits of the honor system can be realized, however, students must understand the responsibility the honor system entrusts to them.