Hong Kong Hype

Previously inward-looking, Hong Kong Student Association seeks to promote greater cultural awareness on Grounds

The International Residential College was engulfed in controlled chaos as waiters rushed and dozens of students slurped and gobbled their way through noodles, milk tea and barbecued pork on rice.

For the mostly Asian crowd at the Hong Kong Student Association’s Hong Kong Café two weeks ago, the bustle and authentic fare were familiar. But for at least a few attendees, the event was an introduction to the uniquely East-meets-West region of Hong Kong.

The menu, written in both English and Chinese characters, offered noodle dishes with sides of fried egg, fish ball or bean curd puff, as well as less expected snacks like condensed milk on toast and a root beer float called the Black Bull.

This traditional yet Westerner-friendly menu illustrates the two-fold mission of Hong Kong Student Association: first, to support students from Hong Kong at the University, and second, to spread awareness about Hong Kong during events throughout the year.

“Previously, we were inward-looking,” said Flora Tsui, a first-year College student and president of HKSA. “We mainly served Hong Kong students. This year, we are branching out to promote our culture.”

HKSA aims to host at least two events a month, Tsui said. Some are external, including Hong Kong Café and China Day, which was co-sponsored with the Mainland Student Network. Other events are internal, like the upcoming hike to Humpback Rock and graduation dinner. The most important of these internal events are those welcoming incoming first-year students.

“Every year at this time, the admissions office gives us a list of students admitted from Hong Kong,” Tsui said. “We reach out to them and give them advice.”

In June, HKSA hosts a new student reception in Hong Kong. They guide new students through each step, from their arrival in Charlottesville to registering for classes.

First-year College student Edmund Tse was admitted to the University last spring, and shortly thereafter received an e-mail from second-year College student Nicholas Wu, a fellow Chemistry major. Wu suggested Tse enroll in more advanced chemistry courses and offered advice about housing and insurance.

Tse said he and other new students met a total of four times in Hong Kong, including a visit to an upperclassman’s house and to a Korean restaurant. Once they arrived on Grounds, they drove together to a department store to purchase appliances and other dormitory necessities.

“Hong Kong Student Association has been really helpful with my transition to U.Va.,” Tse said, adding that now he is exchanging e-mails with newly admitted students.

HKSA members generally report a comfortable transition to the University. Many Hong Kong students have an international background or attended international schools in Hong Kong, so they are comfortable on foreign soil, Tsui said. The slower pace of Charlottesville, though, still stumps some students.

“Hong Kong is very cosmopolitan,” Tsui said. “Many rank it with London and New York. So, some find assimilating to the more rural context a difficult challenge.”

Some students, though, consider the small-town setting an advantage. “There’s not much to do around here, so there is more of a chance to blend into American culture,” Tsui said. “You can attend [fraternity] parties, make Virginian friends and get to know more about Southern culture.“

Some students want to leave the hectic pace of Hong Kong and choose the University for that reason, Tsui added. “It’s good for studying, since there’s not much to do but study.”

That leaves plenty of time for planning outreach activities like Hong Kong Café, a recreation of an authentic Hong Kong dining experience and one of the organization’s most popular events of the year.

“We select the most popular dishes and the most doable dishes,” Tsui said at the Hong Kong Café two weeks ago. She motioned to the packed room. “Right now, it’s equally as busy as a café operating on peak time. There are lots of people coming in, and things get a little hectic. We’ve duplicated it pretty well.”

Third-year College student Christine Graff was a first-time visitor to Hong Kong Café. A former member of the Hong Kong national skateboarding team lived in her hall in the IRC last year, but “that’s all I really know about Hong Kong,” Graff said.

She spooned the ice cream with red bean and wondered aloud, “What’s a fish ball?” Like a meatball made out fish, the waiter replied.
“I assumed it would be like Chinese take-out, but there are some things I wouldn’t expect on the menu, like toast and Sprite with ice cream,” Graff said. “I was hoping there would be something akin to bubble tea.”

Originating in Taiwan, this concoction of milk tea and tapioca balls has gained a cult following across the United States. If it wants to keep up with demand, it looks like HKSA already has its work cut out for itself next year.