Local planning commission names new executive director

Stephen Williams brings more than 25 years of planning experience from California, Iowa, New Hampshire

The Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission announced the selection of Stephen Williams as executive director Tuesday. TJPDC works with local government officials and community groups to find solutions to environmental, housing, transportation, economic and social issues.

TJPDC Chairman Connie Brennan said Williams has a “wealth of experience,” particularly about transportation issues.
“He’s just an incredibly well-rounded person,” Brennan said. “We thought he could jump right in.”

Williams said his more than 25 years of experience in California, Iowa and most recently New Hampshire provided him with a broad perspective about planning issues.

“I’ve been in several different areas of the country and seen different ways of dealing with same issues,” Williams said.

Williams said he has not set particular goals but wants to help elected and appointed community leaders, as well as citizens, fulfill their goals and ensure that TJPDC does its best.

“He’s already expressed interest in getting to know communities” that make up the TJPDC district, Brennan said, noting that this includes urban, suburban and rural areas. Planning District 10 includes the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Fluvanna County, Greene County, Louisa County and Nelson County.

“TJPDC has been doing some interesting things that mesh well with my experience,” Williams said, mentioning the regional transit authority project and recent Route 29 corridor study as projects that have “great potential.”

TJPDC could also work further with the University in the future, Williams said, noting his prior work with universities. In the past, Williams has worked on water quality projects with University of California, Santa Cruz and helped open the Monterey Bay campus of California State University.

“I’m hoping to get to know the University better and find out what the strong curriculum areas are and see if there are ways we can begin involving University students,” Williams said.

Williams will begin his new position May 11.