Gelnovatch

From team captain to successful run as head coach, Gelnovatch makes indelible impact on Virginia men

As the final days of 1986 winded down, a young George Gelnovatch hung up his Virginia Cavalier soccer jersey for the last time and reflected back on a stellar playing career. Fresh off being named the school's third First Team All-American, Gelnovatch entered the professional ranks having totaled 49 goals during his collegiate career, good for fifth on Virginia's all-time list. But although the former Virginia captain's 67 wins as a player are undeniably impressive, it is his latest win total that is currently turning heads.

Virginia's Sept. 22 victory against George Washington marked Gelnovatch's 200th career win as the head coach of the men's team. It is a milestone only one other Cavalier men's soccer coach ever has achieved in the history of the storied program: the legendary Bruce Arena, who racked up 295 wins between 1978 and 1995 and went on to coach D.C. United and the U.S. National Team. Gelnovatch, now in his 14th season at the helm, was recognized at halftime of Saturday's match against Clemson, receiving the game ball and a hearty applause from the rain-weary crowd. After the game, he downplayed the significance of the number.

"Quite honestly, I wasn't even aware that I was that close to 200," Gelnovatch said. "I really didn't find out about it until a couple weeks ago."

But Gelnovatch was quick to point out the unforgettable memories that surround those 200 wins. Among those memories are three ACC Tournament titles; two regular season ACC Championships; two College Cup appearances; the 2001 squad that finished ACC play without giving up a single goal; the 42 players he has helped push into the professional ranks; and following the careers of his players that pursue other walks of life.

"It's really a reflection and a tribute to all those guys," he said.

Gelnovatch began coaching at Virginia in 1989 when he was hired as an assistant for Arena, his former coach. He served as only a part-time assistant until 1992, when his three-year stint in the American Professional Soccer League came to an end and he was promoted to Arena's top assistant. From 1991-94, he helped the Cavaliers capture an unprecedented four consecutive national titles, compiling a record of 25-2-2 in the NCAA Tournament. During his time as an assistant, Gelnovatch coached National Players of the Year, Claudio Reyna, Ben Olsen and Mike Fisher.

After starting one season as a defender for Arena's D.C. United squad, Gelnovatch entered his first season as Virginia's head coach in fall 1996. The Cavaliers' 16-3-3 record in his inaugural season was the best mark ever by a first-year Virginia coach, and his team's NCAA Tournament appearance made him the only coach ever to make the trip during his first year. The accomplishment earned him the distinction of ACC Coach of the Year, one of two years he garnered that honor. The other time came at the conclusion of a 2001 season that saw the Cavaliers compile a record of 16-0-1.

Above all such feats, however, Gelnovatch covets the lifelong bonds he has formed with his players.

"That's really rewarding," Gelnovatch said, "when I can communicate with the guys that are playing professional soccer and guys that are in the professional work force and know what they were like when they were 18 years old, and see them now with their wives and families. That's a lot of fun."

Among the professional soccer players Gelnovatch has helped develop are Jason Moore, a 1999 No. 1 selection in the MLS SuperDraft to D.C. United; Alecko Eskandarian, a 2003 No. 1 pick of D.C. United; and Chris Albright, who signed with D.C. United in 1998. At the start of the 2005 season, 11 of the 15 players who played for Gelnovatch and went to play Major League Soccer were on active rosters. But more important than the conditioning of his players as soccer stars, Gelnovatch said, has been the development of his players as human beings.

"You know, they can't do laundry, they can't write a check, and then by their senior year, they're the leaders of your team," Gelnovatch said. "So we're pretty proud of developing young men as well, not just soccer players."

Through the good times and the bad, Gelnovatch's players have remained steadfast in their appreciation for their dedicated coach.

"He's been there for us whenever we need it," senior captain Ross LaBauex said. "He gives us guidance, he gives us direction. It's not always about soccer, which I appreciate. If we ever have anything we need to talk to him about, he's always there, so he's kind of like a father figure to us. I appreciate everything he's done for me."

Last season, Gelnovatch led Virginia to its 27th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance, a longer streak than any other collegiate team in the nation can claim. The 10th coach in the program's history, he stands as the only one to have guided his team to the NCAA Tournament during each of his coaching seasons. As other players and coaches have continually clarified though, it is not Gelnovatch's gaudy accomplishments that most linger in the minds of those that work with him, but rather his unwavering dedication to the overall wellbeing of his players.

Two hundred wins make a good coach, but sentiments like that make a great one.