Cavalier Daily staff meets to elect publication

New editor-in-chief will focus on creating more engaging paper, expanding Internet readership

The staff of The Cavalier Daily met Saturday morning to elect the Managing and Junior Board members of its 121st term.

Former Executive Editor Ross Lawrence, a third-year College student, was selected as the new editor-in-chief.

Lawrence said he is confident in the abilities of the incoming staff members and their ability to maintain the high quality of the paper, even during the current transition period.

"Our fundamental goal is just maintaining a product that's interesting and engaging for the student body, which is challenging as the University community changes in different ways," he said.

Lawrence said he also will focus on the paper's online presence so as to increase the ease of interaction between the paper and its readers.

He also said he will work on recovering from the financial crisis. Print advertising is the paper's main source of revenue, he said, but the new staff will work on identifying possible alternative revenue streams, particularly from online advertisements.

"Going forward, I'm completely confident in everyone's abilities," Lawrence said. "Everyone seems very dedicated in their positions."

The new Managing Board will include second-year College student and former Opinion editor Bobby Laverty, who will serve as the new executive editor, and third-year College student Irene Kan, who was elected managing editor after having served as assistant managing editor. The two other Managing Board positions will be filled by third-year College student Matt Martorana - a former business staff member who was elected the new chief financial officer - and third-year Engineering student Bennett Sorbo, who will be the next operations manager after having served as a Photography editor.

Staff members also elected the paper's 121st Junior Board.

The new staff will have three assistant managing editors instead of the two that existed in previous years. Third-year College student Rodger Nayak, second-year College student Prateek Vasireddy and second-year College student Allie Vandivier were elected to fill the positions. Nayak was previously an associate News editor, while Vasireddy served as Focus editor and Vandivier was an associate Copy editor. Nayak will be responsible for editing Sports content.

Second-year College students Tom Christensen and Bethel Habte, both former associate News editors, were elected to serve as the editors of their section.

The new Junior Board will also include three Sports editors instead of two. Two of the positions will be filled by former associate Sports editors Ben Gomez, a third-year College student, and former senior associate Sports editor Andrew Seidman, a second-year College student. The third position will be split between former senior associate Sports editor Jack Bird, a fourth-year Engineering student who will edit this semester, and Nick Eilerson, a third-year College student who will finish out the year after Bird graduates in May.

Former associate Life editors Katherine Carter and Lisa Littman, both second-year College students, were elected as the new section editors.

Second-year Engineering student Jane Ma, a former associate News editor, was elected to head the newly created Investigative and Special Projects Executive Committee, which replace the position of Focus editor.

Second-year College student Mitch Ross was elected to a second term as Opinion editor, while former Opinion columnist Danny Di Giulio, a second-year College student, will join him in the second Opinion editor position.

First-year College student Mallory Noe-Payne, and third-year College student Albin Oh, both former Photography staff members, were elected editors of the Photography section.\nSecond-year College students Alyssa Juan and Kelsey Price were re-elected as Production editors. First-year College student Bret Vollmer, a former Production designer, will join them as the third Production editor.

Second-year College student Rachel Lim, a former associate tableau editor, and third-year College student Dave Taggart, who served as a tableau staff member, were elected the new section editors.\nGameday editor Blair Capps, a third-year College student, was re-elected by the staff. Nation and World editors Selina Cormier, a fourth-year College student, and David Rann, a third-year College student, will serve second terms as well.

Third-year College student Lani Hossain, a former Health & Science senior writer, was chosen editor of the section.

Third-year College student Betty Luo and second-year College student Jane Mattimoe will serve as editors of the Graphics section after having served as Graphics associate editors.

Rounding out the Junior Board is second-year College student Stevie Chancellor, who was elected as the paper's Online editor.

Fourth-year College student Andrew Baker, editor-in-chief of the 120th Managing Board, said the new staff seems particularly well qualified in comparison to all the staffs he has seen during his time at The Cavalier Daily.

"The individuals that we have filling all these positions are particularly ambitious," he said. "Personally, I think the paper's in great hands ... and I have high expectations for where [the 121st staff is] going to take it this year"