Cavaliers topple Tar Heels for first win in Chapel Hill since 2002

Virginia's Sammy Zeglinski puts up a three-point shot.

University of North Carolina v Virginia Men's Basketball
First Half
Dean E. Smith Center
Chapel Hill, NC
Sunday, January 31, 2009
Virginia's Sammy Zeglinski puts up a three-point shot. University of North Carolina v Virginia Men's Basketball First Half Dean E. Smith Center Chapel Hill, NC Sunday, January 31, 2009

Virginia returned last night from a successful road trip to North Carolina for the second time this season. Yesterday evening, the team defeated North Carolina 75-60, picking up its 13th win of the season and its fourth in the ACC at the Dean Smith Center. The Tar Heels, on the other hand, dropped to 2-4 in the ACC and are now 13-8 overall.

Sophomore guard Sylven Landesberg led the Cavaliers with a season-high 29 points. The guard has reached double figures in all 19 games this season and is the only player in the conference to score at least 18 points in every ACC matchup thus far. Junior forward Mike Scott and sophomore guard Sammy Zeglinski each scored in double figures, and Zeglinski was also significantly contirubted defensively, racking up four steals as the Cavaliers held the Heels to their lowest scoring output of the season.

Senior forward Jerome Meyinsse made his presence felt in the post, blocking three shots and helping to keep the Tar Heels to just 35.7 percent from the floor.

Virginia also benefited from strong free-throw shooting, sinking 14 of its 18 tries, while North Carolina could only manage 11 makes on 22 attempts.

With the win, Virginia snaps a six-game losing streak against North Carolina and moves into second place in the ACC, behind Duke and tied with Maryland. Cavaliers now prepare for a home matchup this Wednesday when they hope to defeat N.C. State for the second time this season.\n