Engineering School hosts academic ethics discussion

The Engineering School will host a forum focused on "ethics and academic life" today from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in Olsson 120.

The event is partly a response to demonstrated student interest concerning Physics Prof. Blaine Norum's claim that a minimum of 60 percent of students cheated during the second seating of an exam in a spring 2008 section of his general physics course numbered 142E, according to a statistical analysis.

Engineering Prof. Deborah Johnson, who will speak at the event, said the forum's goal is to "try to encourage both students and faculty to be more thoughtful."

The event, for instance, is an opportunity for students and faculty to learn from each other's perspectives. Norum's claim will be "a springboard for students and faculty to articulate and explore differences in our expectations," according to an e-mail sent to all Engineering students from Engineering Dean James Aylor.

Although the forum will be about ethics and academic life, it will not be specifically about the University's honor system, the e-mail stated. Event organizers made this distinction so that forum participants would not spend too much time focusing solely on the honor system's own controversies.

"We wanted have a deeper conversation about education, and not be distracted by the normal single sanction debate," Johnson said.

The forum will be moderated by Kay Neeley, a professor in the Engineering School's department of Science, Technology and Society.

-compiled by Matt Conover