Go for it

The beauty and fresh air that spring brings to Charlottesville always seem to make everything worthwhile. This year, though, I will not bear witness to blooming trees or climbing temperatures. And to be honest, I couldn't be happier about it.

For me, the prospect of living in a foreign country for a semester was too good to pass up - I knew when I first came to college that I wanted to study abroad in Spain. Many students, on the other hand, are hesitant to sacrifice good times with friends in Charlottesville for time in a completely unfamiliar place. While their doubts are certainly not unfounded, I think they only amount to obstacles in way of the experience of a lifetime. Here are some of the questions I got from friends before I left for Valencia, along with how I would answer them now:\n"How could you miss an entire semester at U.Va.?"

I admit there are plenty of things I miss about Charlottesville - house parties, bagels, a reliable Internet connection and, above all, the friends I left behind. But immersing myself in one of the world's most vibrant cultures for four months has proved to be the greatest experience of my life.

I meet amazing people, go to raucous soccer games, go to bull fights, go to discotecas, go to flamencos, go to the beach after class, eat paella in the city, travel Europe, experience mind-blowing festivals and even go to the occasional class. I've seen Lionel Messi score a goal in person, flown across the continent for less than 10 euros, seen the Pope speak about Easter Sunday and watched a city light itself on fire, just for the hell of it. Here you learn more by going to bars than you do by going to class. Speaking of class, the work load is much easier here, and the school calendar is shorter. It's nearly the middle of April and I haven't been to class since last month. Spring Break is two weeks long and comes a week after a week-long break for Las Fallas, Valencia's famous festival of chaos. Given all that and much more, you really don't think you could give up one out of eight semesters in Charlottesville?

"You'll miss ACC basketball, not to mention lacrosse!"

As much as it pains me to think about missing out on the Hoos' nine-game (?!) losing streak and the depression that followed Sylven Landesberg's decision to depart, I think I'll settle on being absorbed in the craziness of European soccer. Valencia has been consumed in wild excitement the past few months as its soccer team continues to hold strong to the No. 3 spot in La Liga, trailing only Real Madrid and FC Barcelona. I've been to two Valencia games and seen the rest on TV, wildly cheering every goal and shamelessly cursing every mistake along with all the local Spaniards. I also got a chance to see Barcelona play at Camp Nou, their 100,000-seat stadium. If given a choice to go see the greatest soccer team in the world or a U.Va. lacrosse game, which would you choose?

"Wait. A whole semester without Little John's?"

True, I miss the Corner big time. I'd give my fourth rib for a Chris Long Sub right about now. But I absolutely can't complain one bit about my food situation here. My host mom, Charo, prepares three meals per day for me, and there are cheap restaurants everywhere you turn in Valencia. I don't have any qualms with leaving Lean Cuisine, Campbell's Chunky Soup and Newcomb Dining Hall behind for a semester. With a few exceptions, Charo's cooking is delicious, authentic and plentiful. And nobody beats her paella. Nobody.

"Good for you, bro. It's too bad I'm in a fraternity - otherwise, I'd totally do it too, man."

Get over yourself. You're not going to get kicked out of your frat for studying abroad. And even if you do lose brownie points for it, who cares? You will have the experience of a lifetime under your belt, something a little more worthwhile than a promotion to vice president of the tailgating committee.

"You realize they don't believe in cereal, or even SportsCenter, right?"

These are fair points.

"Nick. You must be joking. You'll miss Foxfield!"

My God. You're right. How could I have made such a grave oversight? Sacrificing drunken horse-watching shenanigans for drunken Euro-trips? I must be a bonafide moron.

"But it's FOXFIELD!!!"

When I think about my travels to the Canary Islands, Barcelona, Paris, Florence, Rome, the Alps and Prague, it's absurd to me that Foxfield could ever show up on anyone's pro/con study abroad list.

"Do the credits and everything transfer?"

Yep, hours and grades transfer directly to your resum