Sophomore provides different perspective from across pond

Finnigan starts 13 games, feels connection to new

How many University students can say they have spent nearly four weeks backpacking up the east coast of the United States, survived near-death experiences halfway around the world in Thailand and represented their country on the global sporting stage - all before arriving on Mr. Jefferson's hallowed grounds? Charlie Finnigan can claim all this and more, as she has since had a distinguished career as a sophomore attack on the No. 4 Virginia women's lacrosse team.

"She's not like anybody else," Virginia coach Julie Myers said.

The adventurous attacker - who has sang in an acoustic band in bars and pubs across London - has stood out to many fans since her first visit to Charlottesville nearly two years ago. Back then, the native of Twickenham, England - who had recently appeared in the 2007 U-19 international tournament - was on her backpacking excursion to visit 15 different colleges and universities, located all the way from North Carolina to New York. During the process, the two hoped to gain the once-in-a-lifetime chance to play lacrosse at the competitive American collegiate level.

"I knew I wanted to come play in America but I didn't know the top schools or which ones were good and which ones weren't good," said the music major, who transferred to Virginia from Loughborough University in England this fall. "When I arrived at U.Va., I remember saying to my friend Kate, I could completely imagine myself here. The campus is beautiful. All the girls on the team are so nice. I could really see myself fitting in somewhere like this."

And the Virginia squad in fact has been a perfect fit for Finnigan, according to her teammates and coach. Her camaraderie with the team may have helped Finnigan make full use of her offensive prowess, which ultimately contributed to Virginia's first-place finish in the ACC. She has started in 13 games for the Cavaliers and now ranks near the top of the team in goals scored and assists. One particularly noteworthy moment was when she led her team to an upset victory by notching the game-winning goal against then-No. 6 Syracuse in February.

Finnigan's contributions, however, go beyond the field, as her very presence on the team has brought something distinct and energizing to a program that had never before included an international player.

"Off the field, she's brought an awesome personality," sophomore attack Josie Owen said of her housemate. "She's so different from all of us. She gets along with us so well, [and] she has the best stories about life basically in other worlds. She definitely brings something that is special and refreshing to our team."

The squad, though, has had to make at least one adjustment: To them, Finnigan seems to bring a more laidback sense of time from across the pond. Owens joked that her English teammate can "run them into the ground on the field," but that the team always seems to be waiting for its "lackadaisical" member in all other situations off the field.

"She just kind of is on Charlie time and does it Charlie's way, and it totally works," Myers said, echoing Owen's sentiments. "It kind of drives the girls a little bit nuts because they find themselves waiting for Charlie, where they get worried that they're going to be late, and Charlie's just like, 'Oh, it's fine. We've got time.' [She has] a laidback, chill attitude."

That attitude has helped the standout sophomore acquire a strong network of friends that has helped her adjust to a life so far removed from her family and friends back home. These friendships have gone a long way toward strengthening Finnigan's connection with her new home away from home.

"It's so nice to be around a family when you're so far away from your own," Finnigan said.

This "family" has stood behind her both off the squad and on, where it has provided Finnigan with her own personal cheering squad, who have come to home games donning T-shirts to represent her family members who cannot attend the games in person.

Away from the field, Finnigan took advantage of an opportunity to spend Easter Sunday dining with teammate Molly Millard's family in Alexandria, Va. Last November, she also celebrated her first American Thanksgiving at Owen's family home in Florida.

Of course, Finnigan's actual family members have continued to stand by her, as well. For example, they send her care packages containing Special K cereal and fruit bars, which Finnigan said are very different from the American versions of these products.

"My family is so supportive," Finnigan said. "Every time I have a game, [my parents] sit in bed drinking tea and watch the stats online. All my friends in England still e-mail me and all follow all the games. A lot of people don't even know what lacrosse is, so it's kind of new to them. But they all really support me [regardless]."

Finnigan's initial notion that she could really fit in here has truly played out both on the field and off, even if her accent may draw attention to her when she goes out.

"Every morning when I walk to class, I literally think this is so beautiful compared to where I was last year," Finnigan said. "I always wish that my friends could see me here and see how beautiful it is"