Students trail in filing 2010 census forms

Numbers reveal neighborhoods with large numbers of students lag behind rates of other areas in Charlottesville

Census return data shows that areas where higher numbers of University students currently reside have turned in their census forms at a lower rate than the rest of the Charlottesville community.\nThe Jefferson Park Avenue and Venable neighborhoods, which are both popular venues for student off-Grounds housing, were calculated as the lowest performing areas in the City of Charlottesville with participation rates of 60 percent and 57 percent, respectively, as of last Thursday, according to a Charlottesville press release.

Areas further from Grounds, on the other hand, showed figures that were higher than the national average, which currently stands at 71 percent, according to the U.S. Census website.

The Greenbrier neighborhood had the highest return rate at 75 percent, while the Martha Jefferson Hospital/Locust District and Johnson District each were at 74 percent, stated the press release.

Charlottesville and University officials said the disparity in the numbers may have occurred because students either put the forms aside when they arrived in the mail, were confused about the directions or did not think they needed to fill out the forms in the first place.

"A lot of students don't consider themselves residents of Charlottesville but rather residents of where their parents live," Charlottesville Mayor Dave Norris said. "But the census is trying to understand where you are on the night of April 1."

Data obtained through the census provides the City with an accurate gauge as to how bus services, bike paths, medical services and businesses should be tailored to students' needs, said Jean Wyant, director of the local Census Bureau office.

Additionally, Norris said in the press release, returns from the census will "help shape decisions for the rest of the decade about public health, neighborhood improvements, affordable housing, transportation, education, senior services and much more."

City officials, therefore, have worked with University administrators to increase return rates and have hosted various publicity events with special guests, such as the Virginia women's basketball team.

"Obviously, nothing we do is going to convince everybody to fill out their form, but we're trying to do what we can," Norris said.

The University's Community Relations Office, meanwhile, has worked with units across and off Grounds to help promote participation in the census, said Ida Lee Wootten, director of community relations in the Office of Public Affairs.

Collaborative efforts have included placing census assistance tables in Newcomb Hall, sending e-mails and letters to parents to encourage their children to fill out the form and working with Residence Life officers to provide information to residents living on Grounds.

To increase participation among off-Grounds students, community relations staffed a table on the Corner April 10. Additionally, Off-Grounds Housing Office Manager Vicki Hawes said a message encouraging census participation was sent out to landlords to pass on to their student tenants.

Wyant noted that students in dormitories are not included in the census return rates reported thus far, as these groups report directly to census officials rather than sending in their responses.\nNevertheless, officials said they hoped students will continue to turn in their census forms before returning home for summer.

"The census is all about planning for the future," Wyant said. "It makes all the difference if you have good, thorough accurate count of the young population in terms of public, private and nonprofit planning."

If students have any questions or need a new form, they should contact the University Community Relations Office at communityrelations@virginia.edu.