Under the Radar: Enter the Haggis

Canadian Celtic rock band combines diverse influences to provide a distinct sound

Fusion music has always intrigued me, mostly because it's never boilerplate or predictable. Each band or singer is able to blend genres in a unique and creative way to make something that listeners have never heard before. That is especially true with Enter The Haggis, which hails from Toronto, Canada.

Enter The Haggis formed its current lineup in the early 2000s. The group chose its name because, like the food haggis, their music is made up of many diverse elements that come together to create something new. The group often has classified itself as "explosive Canadian Celtic fusion," blending elements of Celtic music, mainstream rock, punk rock, roots music and folk. The instrumentation reflects this diversity, as the group frequently includes the tin whistle, bagpipes, harmonica, accordion and mandolin in its songs. To mix it up even further, band members Brian Buchanan and Trevor Lewington alternate singing lead vocals, although their voices are so similar the listener often cannot tell them apart.

ETH first attracted widespread attention in 2004 with its third studio album Casualties of Retail and has since released two more studio albums, Soapbox Heroes and its latest effort Gutter Anthems in 2009. When I first listened to the albums, I was immediately struck by the infectious, upbeat quality of the music. Even the more serious songs still have a lightness to them that shows the band doesn't take themselves too seriously.

ETH's lyrical themes reflect its Celtic roots, such as "One Last Drink," an Irish drinking song of sorts that features a third vocalist, Craig Downie, blending his basso profundo with the band's other singers. A violinist myself, I especially appreciated the expert fiddling that forms one of this song's main musical ideas.

Another unique element of the group's music is the band members' willingness to go instrumental and let the music speak for itself. They accomplish this well on "Lancaster Gate," which blends the bagpipes with punchy power chords reminiscent of punk rock for an intriguing effect. Later on, the piano and bass take their turn at the forefront, giving the song a versatile sound.

Perhaps the best song on the latest album is "The Litter and the Leaves," an anthem perfect for driving with the windows down. The song also changes tempo several times, appearing to end about three-quarters of the way through before slowing way down and using only vocals and piano for the outro.

Other highlights on the album include "Real Life/Alibis," which is actually two songs stitched together. Both songs talk about the dangers of denial, both on an individual basis and when it becomes an accepted cultural practice. "Suburban Plains" features an African-inspired drumbeat in 5/4 time with lyrics in English and French. The band's rock side roots are explored in songs like "Noseworthy and Piercy" about a commonly told folklore legend from 1887.

ETH credits most of its success to a sort of grassroots effort by fans, which has begun to slowly widen the band's fan base and allow it to gain more attention in the mainstream. I would highly recommend checking the group out in the near future. If you want to see the band live, check out the nearest Celtic festival. Chances are it'll be there.