Officials discuss University's lack of prior knowledge about 2008 Huguely arrest

Casteen, other administrators plan to meet with McDonnell to discuss potential law

During a press conference Wednesday evening, University President John T. Casteen, III said he was unaware of the 2008 arrest of former men's lacrosse player George Huguely, who was charged with first degree murder Monday in relation to the death of Yeardley Love, who played for the women's team.

Huguely was charged with swearing in public, public intoxication and resisting arrest Nov. 14 in Lexington, Va. and reportedly threatened a police officer's life. Casteen expressed frustration with the lack of communication between police jurisdictions, adding that neither Charlottesville Police nor the University was ever informed of the incident.

"Strikes me as odd," Casteen said, "that the law does not require that kind of notification."

Thursday, The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported that Casteen and University officials plan to meet with Gov. Bob McDonnell to discuss the possibility of passing a state law that would require police departments to notify universities when a student is arrested.

Dean of Students Allen Groves added that he was first informed of the arrest when he read about it in the media in the days following Love's death.

"As things surface, as things like this 2008 arrest are brought to light, I find myself saying, 'I wish we had known that,'" Groves said.

Athletic Director Craig Littlepage explained that University policy requires a student involved in an alcohol incident to undergo counseling. In the case of an athlete, the student would be suspended from team-related activities until he was cleared by the counselor, Littlepage said. Thereafter, the athlete would meet with his coach, who could potentially take further disciplinary action.

Littlepage said neither men's team coach Dom Starsia nor Huguely's teammates came forth with any information regarding the 2008 incident. Littlepage did address the potential gap of communication separating players and coaches that has become a nationwide issue.

"Understand the dynamics of a team: The last thing you want to do as a teammate, as a roommate, as a friend is to tell something that might have you fall out of favor with somebody that you're very close with," Littlepage said. "There's a unique element of trust within a team, and we're struggling with a mechanism by which student-athletes can feel comfortable having either a mechanism or a person who they can go and speak with"