Arts Grounds to extend with theater space

Plans to renovate drama education building include thrust-stage theater, remodeling of main lobby, restrooms

The University will begin construction on a new theater as an expansion of the drama education building and part of the Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds next year.\nThe expansion will include a 300-seat thrust-stage theater, which will extend into the audience on three sides connected by a backstage area.

University Architect David Neuman said plans for the theater - which will accommodate drama, dance and film - include remodeling the main lobby and public restrooms. The new building also will mirror the surrounding architecture.

"While [the department] is getting an additional stage, [it is] also getting additional space outside that connects in a marvelous way, echoing the contours of Carr's Hill, a design which is complementary and harmonious with the landscape," said Elizabeth Hutton Turner, vice provost for the arts.

There will be a ceremonial groundbreaking for the building in October, although construction - which will cost the University $6.3 million - is tentatively scheduled to not begin until January.

Drama Department Chair Tom Bloom said new resources and buildings for the arts at the University have been in the works for a while.

"This has been a project for a long time coming," he said. "It is in part an outgrowth of the Virginia 2020 commission that convened a decade ago. New performing arts facilities were recommended by college administrators for this program. It's been a long process that has finally unfolded."

Bloom also said the new building will be beneficial to creating a stronger drama department at the University.

"We have a pretty vital program. In order to maintain it we need a consistent measure of support, which we have received," he said. "I think any arts program or department aspires to build faculty and improve facilities and have a larger student cohort; the factors that foster that growth are many. The administration is moving in the right direction."

The new theater is also part of the Betsy and John Casteen Arts Grounds, which is comprised of several construction projects to develop more resources for the arts.

The project, which was spearheaded by former Board of Visitors member Gordon Rainey, was created in honor of Casteen's 20-year term as University president, Turner said. The Board of Visitors raised money for the project and allowed the Casteens to choose which project to back.

"From all the options, they chose to invest in the Arts Grounds," Turner said.