Summer Music

Quality offerings from a variety of eclectic artists make for great tunes during a hot summer

Countless albums, EPs and mixtapes have been released since tableau's last publication. We wish we could say we listened and reviewed them all, but alas, we didn't. There were far too many for only a few sets of ears. But still, we gave it a shot, and here are five fantastic albums from the summer that will help you kick off your new semester on the right note.

1. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs\nBy far the easiest decision of this whole process, The Suburbs is an invigorating and completely engrossing album. The songs feel carefully put together and precisely designed to set the perfect complement to lyrics overflowing with emotion and experience. The Canadian group captures the essence of growing up and living in a sprawling, anonymous world. Even if you didn't grow up in the suburbs, the grandiose but catchy sound of the album is easy appreciable, and the big statements are fulfilling to ponder even after multiple runs around the album. Standouts: "City With No Children," "Half Light II" and "Sprawl II"\n\n2. The National - High Violet \nI don't think one album has ever made me regret missing a concert more than High Violet did. I must admit that High Violet was the first album to hook me into The National, a band whose understated and haunting style has some addictive qualities. So addictive, in fact, I went back and listened to all their prior work this summer and suffice to say, all of it is equally great. Standouts: "Afraid of Everyone," "Terrible Love" and "England"

3. Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty\nDebatably the best-titled album of the summer, the less-famous half of Outkast unleashed what is easily the best hip-hop album of 2010 so far. The album shows off Big Boi's versatile flow through a variety of well-chosen beats. Even at 15 songs, plus some bonus tracks, the album never feels played out, and it's difficult to choose a weak point. Big Boi has followed a recent trend of including both up-and-comers and established A-listers as featured artists, and the diversity pans out in an record filled with earworms and contemplative tracks. Standouts: "Shutterbug," "Tangerine" and "Shine Blockas"

4. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening\nJames Murphy's last effort under the guise of LCD Soundsystem will be revisited long after he undertakes new projects in the future. This album is full of the kinds of songs that you don't forget for years, songs that build themselves up with a triumphant sound. Lyrically, Murphy sounds more sincere and thoughtful than any of the acts this album leap-frogged in the top 10 within its first week of sales. Standouts: "Drunk Girls," "All I Want" and "You Wanted A Hit"

5. Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid\nOn her first studio album, Janelle Monae covers a wider emotional range than most younger R&B singers possess. With scant guest features, Monae's voice holds the reins through 18 songs, some with a dreamy folk and others with dance-floor thump. She has successfully and entertainingly pulled off quite a concept album. Standouts: "Cold War," "Tightrope" and "Wondaland"

The Best of the Rest (in no particular order): Rick Ross - Teflon Don, The Roots - How I Got Over, Sleigh Bells - Treats, The Books - The Way Out, Best Coast - Crazy For You, Tame Impala - Innerspeaker