It

FX series combines intellect with humor to up the ante

The sixth season of FX's successful comedy It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which has enjoyed a cult-like following on top of its critical acclaim, premieres tonight. Often compared to classic hits such as Seinfeld, the series follows the adventures and escapades of five narcissistic friends who own an unsuccessful Irish pub in Philadelphia. The inappropriate exploits of Mac (Rob McElhenney), Dennis (Glenn Howerton), Charlie (Charlie Day), Dee (Kaitlin Olson) and Frank (Danny DeVito) have failed to disappoint thus far, and the sixth installment seems every bit as promising.

It's Always Sunny doesn't follow the hip, cinematic styles of other recently successful comedies such as The Office and 30 Rock; instead, it sticks to a low-budget feel and more traditional camera work to tell stories. Another stark contrast to today's more mainstream comedies is the show's lack of a continuous, season-long plot. Each episode begins with a cold opening - usually just a cut of "the gang" having a conversation that segues into whatever topic the show happens to be addressing that night - and is largely independent of other episodes from both the season and the series as a whole. Although there are some recurring characters, jokes and themes, almost any episode is a good starting point for a viewer unacquainted with the show. This is part of the show's appeal. Other than the constantly flowing gags and jokes, there isn't much else that demands the audience's undivided attention. It is the comedy for a demographic that may not have time to catch every single episode - though most fans do - and analyze every development between the characters.

It is by no means, however, a simpleton's show. In seasons past, the gang has addressed topics like the mortgage bust, underage drinking, the gas crisis and political corruption. It may be true that none of the topics is addressed in an appropriate or politically correct way and that the main characters are exclusively interested in moving themselves forward, but these discussions at least show that the series can deal with weighty subjects. And season six promises to be no different - according to FX's website, topics to be lampooned include gay marriage, class conflicts and rat infestation. Because the show is on cable television, the producers are at liberty to tackle virtually anything they wish without regard for ratings or sponsors, and so they have created the purest form of lewd comedy possible. It's Always Sunny airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. and re-airs an hour later.