Sanitizer use may not stop spread of cold

The use of hand sanitizer might not significantly impact the transmission rate of the cold or flu virus, according to a study conducted by Dr. Ronald Turner of the University's Pediatrics department.\nAfter the study was concluded, 51 rhinovirus infections were reported in a pool of 100 volunteers who didn't apply hand sanitizer, as opposed to 42 cases in another pool of 100 volunteers who used hand sanitizer. Furthermore, the study found that only three more people per 100 study participants were actually infected with influenza when they did not use hand sanitizer.

But until these findings are verified and undergo peer review, the University Health System will continue to implement its current guidelines for respiratory disease prevention.

The Health System continues to recommend that students cover their mouths when they cough, wash their hands with soap and water and refrain from sharing drinking glasses, Student Health Director James Turner said.

"You will still see hand sanitizer around, and I would still recommend using it - I'm still going to use it," he said.

Turner said Student Health expects a normal flu season of no more than 300 cases.

-compiled by Michelle Davis and Radina Belberova